Where You Are

"No."

A sneer twists the vampire's thin lips as Jungkook breathes, his voice heavy and thick with terror. His fingers are cold and brutal as they tease playfully, malice dripping from the tips as they skim against the skin.

"Thank you, dear." He says, yellow eyes smug as he stares triumphantly at Jungkook's trembling figure. "You're as stupid as you're invigorating."

My breaths come slow as I grip his wrist, hissing venomously. I think quickly- would he be affected if I hit him in any way? Was his head close enough for my head to hit if I threw it back?

"Don't touch her."

Jungkook growls, his eyes fiery with the desire to attack, to rip him apart strip by strip. But he also knows that my neck is only inches away from his fangs, ready to be sunk into the skin by the millisecond.

And the helplessness enrages him.

"Do you taste as good as you smell?" The vampire grins, sweet poison dripping from his sickening tone as two of his fingers grip my chin.

Anger blazes in my disgusted eyes as he wrenches my face to meet his. It's alarming how close his face is to mine- our noses were barely refraining from touching.

Revolt flashes through my features, and he notices. The smug smile he'd had on disappears in an instant when he realizes I want him to see how disgusted I am of him, how much I loathe him.

"Why," He whispers, voice furious. "Why won't you look at me the way you look at him?"

"Because," I don't even hesitate as I stare right back into his hateful yellow eyes, the truth spilling out of me like water. "Because he's a better vampire than what you'll ever be."

His eyes narrow.

"I see."

And then I throw my head back, feeling satisfaction shoot across my spine when it meets with his face. I'm sure that I'd done it with enough strength and force to break a bone or two, but he doesn't even wince as he hurls me to the ground.

Several things happen next.

The air vibrates, and I glimpse a flash of ocean blue before my body slams into a pair of strong arms instead of the concrete ground. Jungkook looks down at me in concern, his eyes shining an ethereal silver as I forget to breathe.

Ocean blue.

Taehyung.

As soon as I think of that, I hear the sound of his deep voice, angry and furious as something slams against the walls of the alley.

"Damn it!"

"Are you okay?" Jungkook asks as he pulls me up to my feet. My heart is still racing as I quickly nod, my fingers tight around his sleeve as I look to Taehyung.

"He got away," Taehyung grits his teeth, frustration evident in his slanted eyes as he meets Jungkook's clouded, unreadable expression.

"I can't believe there's another gardenia-seeker out there." He mutters as he runs his fingers through his messy hair. "I thought there could only be one-"

Taehyung's eyes grow worried as he glimpses the smears of red on the maknae's cheeks. "Hey. You're hurt."

"I'm fine, hyung." Jungkook murmurs quietly as his fingers envelop mine. His skin is cold and icy as usual, but this time it seems even more wintry as he grazes my fingertips. "This is nothing."

The older man searches the younger's darkened eyes for truth, blue eyes glinting. Finally, he sighs and draws away— frustration still lingering in his figure.

"Come on then," He breathes, his eyes shifting to me as he nods. "They're all searching for you two— let's not keep them worrying any longer."

I feel Jungkook wrap his arms around me when he pauses, looking at Taehyung with his lips pursed.

"You go ahead, hyung. We'll walk."

When he says that, I look to him in surprise. Then I remember his promise to me— that he'd refrain from the teleportation because it made me sick.

"No, it's fine." I quickly say as Taehyung looks deep in confusion. "It's not that bad, honestly."

"No, it's okay," His words are forceful as he waves to Taehyung. "The house isn't that far from here anyways. We'll walk."

"If you're going to walk," Taehyung stresses, still looking confused as to why Jungkook would want to walk over a quick second of teleportation. "I'm walking with you two. Who knows what could happen?"

Time Skip

"Another gardenia-seeker?" Jin mutters in surprise as he gapes at Taehyung. "But there can only be one in eternity! Are you positive that—"

"Positive, hyung." Jungkook says, wincing from the memory. "He's attracted to her scent."

Yoongi groans. "And you didn't kill him off? He got away?"

Taehyung hangs his head in shame, and I comfortingly pat his back. It wasn't his fault— he shouldn't be blaming himself for anything. To be honest, he should be praising himself for getting to us in time.

Who knows what could've happened if he hadn't shown up?

"It's not hyung's fault," Jungkook says, voicing my thoughts as he defends Taehyung. "If he'd shown up any later, Elle could've been bitten."

Yoongi's eyes narrow, doubt and suspicion undeniable. "He was strong enough to beat you? That doesn't sound right, Jungkook."

Crimson starts to flush my cheeks as I recall the embarrassing mistake. This had been technically my fault— I'd been the one to distract Jungkook, draw his attention away from his natural bloodlust.

Didn't mean I would change a single thing if I did it all over again.

"That's not the problem right now, hyung." Jimin says worriedly. "Elle's in danger. Now that he's found her in this generation— he will come back for her. Or die trying. You do know there's only Elle that produces that specific scent, right?"

"Who knows?" Hoseok shrugs as he tries to look hopeful. "Maybe there's another gardenia. I mean, now that we know that there are two current gardenia-seekers."

My eyes dart to Jungkook, whose face looks stormy with silence. Frustration is obvious in the way he sets his body, the way his tongue continuously runs over his dry lips.

He looks mad.

"Maknae, you okay?" Namjoon asks, noticing Jungkook's demeanor as well. Everyone suddenly stops discussing when they hear his observation, concern in their eyes as they watch the youngest vampire brood.

His eyes go downcast, avoiding the rest of our gazes. "I'm fine."

It's obvious that he's lying.

"I just need some air," He mutters, standing up from his chair. Face flushed and cheeks slightly red from the heat, he stumbles out the door with his usual grace and elegance absent.

Worry chills my flesh.

When I stand up to go after him, a large hand wraps around my wrist, pulling me back down to the couch.

Jin.

He shakes his head, eyes wide and sad as he looks at the closing door. The breath escapes my chest as I sigh softly, returning to my original place in the sofa that seems suddenly hot to the touch.

"He gets like that sometimes," Hoseok says, eyes still fixed on the shut front door. "It's best to leave him alone when he wants to be. Give him some time to cool down, and he'll come back soon, I promise."

Time Skip (Six Hours Later)

He still isn't back.