Chapter I: Gemischt

It was a man. He was only there for a second until he suddenly disappeared from your sight.

Ginseng started scratching the metal door and hissing at it.

"Who...was that?," You ask yourself.

You decide to shake it off. You trotted to the shoe rack and wore slippers.

"Ginseng, I'm going to buy some food for us!," You say, opening the metal door again.

After you closed it, you heard scratching on your door. Ginseng was still doing that odd behavior, something he's never done before.

You walk to the lobby of your apartment and opened the door. A guy zipped past you.

He was taller than you. He wore a black face mask with a dog design on it. His pastel orange turtle neck looked good with his brown trousers and white Converse high cuts. You saw a tuft of blonde hair under a gray beanie.

"Ow!," You yelp as your shoulders bump so suddenly and harshly that you toppled backwards.

You catch a glimpse of his face, almond shaped eyes, long and straight nose, acne clear skin, and pink lips.

"I'm sorry." he said silently as he helped you up. You locked eyes for a moment before he bowed and hurried up the stairs.

You smiled as he left but your smile faded afterwards.

You reach for your cellphone in your pocket and dial your mother's number.

"You've got some nerve to call me after you ran away without telling me." Her mother said resentfully. Her mother's voice was usually angelic and energetic, but it was hoarse and raspy.

"Found a gemischt." You said to your mother, silencing the background noise on the other line.

"What did he look like?," Your mom asked, now forgetting the fact that you ran away without her consent.

"Tall, pale, blonde haired, almond shaped eyes, pink lips." You said blandly.

"This is your first mission." Your mom said, her voice quickening and softening. "Observe that gemischt."

You hummed and hung up.

You look back to the stairs where he got up to, your face darkening. You closed your eyes for a moment and opened them. You were looking your usual self, smiling and definitely not spying. At least, you didn't look obvious.

You were trained to be like this. Trained to find Gemischt. You were trained to use all kinds of things as weapons against these creatures.

You walked outside your apartment building and took a right turn. You stop when you come across a small scratch mark on a lamp post. It was Ginseng's.

You walk inside the convenience store. "Hello, and welcome to Pyeogum's 24 hour Convenience Store." The cashier said, blandly. The moment you went inside the convenience store, you felt a tingle up your spine.

You thought it was just the fact that the lady behind the counter was breathtakingly stunning and so sophisticated looking.

You walk around the aisles of the store and looking for some cat food, since they were available here the last time you checked. You open the fridge door and take out a pack of ramen.

"Oh, it's you!" Someone behind you exclaimed.

You jerked around and saw the man who bumped into you a while ago, only now he was wearing a green track suit and a gray apron on top of it. A nametag was pinned on the right side of the apron, slightly tilting.

"Kim... Namjoon?," You ask him. He smiled awkwardly.

"I can pay for the food you're about to buy." Namjoon said, scratching his hair under his beanie. "It's the least I can do since I bumped into you a while ago."

You stare at him in a dark manner. You should not be communicating with him. He's your target, not your friend...

But if he is a Gemischt, why does he look so happy and satisfied with his life?

"Are... you okay?," he asked after a couple of moments, staring into your eyes. It feels as if he was staring right into your soul, trying to discover what your true motives are.

"Yeah, just got lost in my thoughts." You reply, rubbing your left eyelid.

"I'm paying--" he started to say but you interrupted directly.

"Do you guys have any cat food here? The small handbag sized ones?," You quickly ask, hoping to avoid anymore contact with him.

"Oh, yeah." He said, then disappeared. He then came back holding two bags cat food, one in his right and the other in his left.

"Right. Thanks." You mutter in an inaudible voice, rushing over the counter to pay for it before he does.

"Euna, whatever that girl is buying, you can deduct it from my paycheck." Namjoon yelled from the other side of the room.

"Right, then." Euna said, packing them all inside two paper bags.

"Wait, no-" You started to say but his voice rang once more.

"I'm in her debt and now I just paid it off." Namjoon, once again, said from the other side of the convenience store.

"Right. Thank you for stopping by." Euna said, now more lively than the last time she greeted you.

You zip out of the store and walk in a fast pace, so you can make sure nobody was following you.

"He paid for this food, Ginseng." You mutter as you take off your slippers and dump them into the shoe rack in the corner.

Ginseng stopped hissing at the door and sat down in front of his food bowl.

"You must be really hungry, considering that you barely ate yesterday." You said, pouring the contents into the bowl.

Ginseng started munching down the food. You beamed at your cat, who is now more behaved and stopped hissing. But only for that moment.

The doorbell rang again and this time, you didn't answer. It just kept ringing and ringing and ringing, slowly tempting you to open the door and talk to whoever was behind it.

Soon enough, you were overcome by temptation and opened the door, and a voice said...

"Hi, dear."

♧Author's Note♧

Hmm...

What do you guys think of this chapter? Was it too... weird, or too... you know, odd?

Wait, weird and odd are synonyms though. Haa, I'm dumb afterall.

If you did like this chapter a vote would really help. Please comment down below about what you think about the story and which parts should I improve on!

That's it, and thanks for reading this chapter!

The next chapter will either be released this midnight GMT+8 time or tomorrow, at 11am, still GMT+8 time.

Thanks, and bye, at last.