Chapter XIX: Location

In VARE, it was silent. Too silent.

Mr. Kang was walking through the hallways, looking at the rooms of the level 1 gemischts.

Mr. Kang knocked on the door, yet no one answered. He knocked once more, growing impatient every knock. On the third and final knock, he grew impatient and opened it without a response.

To his surprise, the room was empty other than the bed in one corner, a desk with papers, and a backpack on the ground.

Mr. Kang panicked and opened the room's bathroom. He went in to find it empty.

"This is bad..." Mr. Kang said, trembling. "He's-he's gonna kill me."

Mr. Kang ran outside the room and forced the second door open, only to find it empty once again. He repeated, and repeated, and repeated, and repeated from all fifteen doors, but his results were all the same. There were no signs of life form in every room.

"Ah, shit." Mr. Kang spat out, scratching his head in frustration. "Damn that Yoongi traitor and those-those gemischts."

Mr. Kang walked towards the laboratory door which was at the end of the hallway. He pushed it open, only to get surprised looks by his co-workers.

"Jinyeol, what are you doing?," A woman named Yoona asked, dropping the syringe she was placing liquid on.

Click.

Yoona was the company's doctor. She was about twenty-five and beautiful. She also likes experimenting on dead gemischts. She was a mother of two boys and the wife of the CEO's best friend.

"The-the gemischts." Mr. Kang said, panting. "They got out after the break-out."

Yoona ran her left hand through her long, silky hair and gritted her teeth in frustration.

"This is pathetic." she said, frowning at Mr. Kang. "What were you doing during the break-out?,"

"I was working!," Mr. Kang protested, slamming his hands on a nearby desk. "It's not my job to prevent break-outs!,"

"Then why worry about it if you say it's none of your concern?," Yoona asked, raising her voice now. "Don't you get it, Jinyeol? This happened because of your carelessness!,"

Mr. Kang went silent for a bit. Yoona turned to leave.

"Wait, where were you at that time?," Mr. Kang shot back, staring at Yoona dead-straight into her eyes.

Yoona went silent, then opened her mouth.

"It'snonyarbusiness!" Yoona said, a little too quickly.

"Didn't you say," Mr. Kang proceeded. "That you had business regarding Mr. Veradimo?,"

Yoona laughed nervously. "Yeah, about putting down G2736."

Mr. Kang looked at her with a sly smile that knew what her business with Mr. Veradimo was.

"Well, alright, I'll be on my way, then." Mr. Kang said, walking towards the door.

Yoona slowly picked up the syringe which she dropped a while ago and examined it.

"Yoona, did you lock the door?," Mr. Kang asked politely, looking at her, but she didn't look back.