Chapter XX: Struggle (Short)

Namjoon was as lifeless as a twig by now. His veins were slowly throbbing and he was on the ground in a field of cardinals. He sat up and groaned in pain. He looked straight in front of him and saw a pale blue sky touched with fluffy white clouds.

There was no signs of other lifeforms nearby. Just him, in this silent paradise.

Wish it would be like this in real life as well.

Then, he saw two children appear into view. They were both boys, one was taller than the other. One boy smiled and laughed like an innocent child, and one tried to dodge the other boy's attempts to touch him, but they were both happy.

"Namjoon-ah, Mom's calling us back!," The taller boy said, gesturing for the shorter boy to come towards him.

"I'll be there, Jin-hyung!," Kid Namjoon said, sitting in the middle of the field of cardinals and looked at his thin arms.

Namjoon scooted over slowly, so as to not draw any attention. The flowers rustled silently and Namjoon saw Kid Namjoon, crying, his back turned from the direction Kid Jin ran towards.

Kid Namjoon was emitting a purple gas from his back, which eventually formed into a demonic smoke figure and went right back inside Kid Namjoon.

Kid Namjoon stood up and wiped his tears on his sleeve and ran towards Kid Jin's house, smiling as if nothing ever happened.

Namjoon realized that he had forgotten this memory. This was the first time his gemischt side reacted to his sadness. He had remembered about how his parents suggested that Jin and Yoongi should stay over because they're his friends, but Namjoon knew that they were more of a family to his parents than their own son.

Then, the scene shifted and the sky was dark and gloomy.

This time, a pre-teen Namjoon was standing on the middle of the field with tons of wilted cardinals. He was facing towards Jin's house, his back against a kid Jungkook. Teen Namjoon was holding his old backpack and wore an old hat that used to belong to his grandfather.

"Namjoon-hyung..." Jungkook had said, tears streaming down his face. The cardinals started to wilt faster as Teen Namjoon's feelings became even more unstable.

"Jungkook, leave me alone." Teen Namjoon had said as he whipped around to face Jungkook. He gestured towards his backpack and smiled painfully. "They want me gone, alright?,"

"Please stay with us, Hyung!," Jungkook exclaimed. "Your parents don't want you gone! Please stay!,"

A flash of lighting lit up the sky, then the entire field of cardinals were now wilted. Teen Namjoon was too swift for Kid Jungkook. His hands were both on Kid Jungkook's throat, enclosing it with a tight grip. Kid Jungkook choked for breath. Teen Namjoon's skin slowly started to turn purple.

That is, until Teen Jin came out of the house and threw a basketball at Teen Namjoon's head.

Namjoon's hand directly found the area where the impact had hit him. It was near his left eye. Namjoon just squatted there, staring at the scene as if it never happened in reality. As if it was merely a dream.

Teen Jin was yelling as he ran towards Teen Namjoon. Teen Jin kicked Teen Namjoon at the stomach, which sent Teen Namjoon flying across the field.

Once again, Namjoon found the spot where Jin had kicked him. He had broken a rib that time and had to go to the doctor to remove it.

Teen Jin picked up Kid Jungkook and hugged him. Kid Jungkook was wailing, sputtering, and coughing. There was a purple bruise that appeared on his neck. Teen Jin made hushing noises and comforted Kid Jungkook.

That's right. I almost killed Jungkook when he was only seven.

Namjoon looked at the painful scene and saw his unconscious body clutching his stomach area, right where Jin had planted a kick on him.

Those days when they were kids... and they started to fall apart just because VARE was founded and kept them apart.

Namjoon started to cry. He felt pained. Why is he doing all of this? Why is he accepting his gemischt side that he kept locked in a secret area in his mind for a long time? Why did he do that?

Then the answer flashed in front of his eyes.

It was because he fell in love. Fell in love with the only girl he ever laid eyes on.

His tears stopped rolling down his face and sighed because of his newfound realization.

Love can truly make you go through all heights.