Chapter Fifteen

-She ought to have been at the lab with her father, providing assistance on the latest innovations benefiting Capsule corp, but Dr. Brief demonstrated great acceptance to Panchy's request of Bulma's absence in matters involving physical intervention on gadgets of any sort whatsoever. It was visible; even to the saiyan that pregnancy had left her low on stamina and it had been easier for her already frail body to devitalize twice as fast as before she'd actually conceived.

The tension conquering the Briefs' residence was petrifying, now that she could deliver any day. To say that she was nervous and somewhat agitated was an understatement. Yet, her overzealous mother had kindly inspirited her throughout the whole stressful process, advising that she had nothing to fear and that situations were under control.

If she'd felt a bit reassured by her mothers encouragements previously, her perturbation heightened to its peak when she'd caught Vegeta's uncommon rigidity escalate drastically over the days carrying her near delivery. It was a lost battle on her part to sooth her own apprehension by reminding herself that the callous saiyan prince never actually experienced anything close to fatherhood before. She'd cognizance of the fact that he was a man forged as a weapon of war, whose body was built from a lifetime of intense battle and he had reason to be tensed, considering he'd been experiencing things he probably once thought he'd never feel. But despite the rationale, she was abandoned to worry for two.

Vegeta was the last person from whom one could expect the least bit of emotional demonstration and since it was out of character to find him stress out, it contributed to nothing apart from fueling her nervousness tenfold. As excited as she was for the baby, she couldn't haul herself out of her fears. Especially after hearing about the agony incurred during labor.

Fortunately though, sleep had sought her while she'd been flipping through countless amount of fashion magazines. Tossing the worrisome thoughts at the back of her mind, she'd permitted herself a few hours of well deserved nap. Her mother was out on grocery shopping and her father was in his laboratory, perfecting a few devices for Vegeta's demolished bots.

'Now where is that troublesome woman?' The callous saiyan wondered, scanning their bedroom cautiously. No where in view!

  'Damn it! I'd imagined the old woman told her not to overdo it!" He growled quite vexed; 'She better not be in that miserable lab of hers!'

     Mentally cursing Bulma, he paused, cornering her ki. Ah; she was in the living room! In urging strides, he'd practically scurried down the stairs like a predator searching for his prey. Relief seared in as he spotted her laying asleep on the couch in what seemed to be a very uncomfortable position.

     'Tch! Look at her! Sleeping peacefully, unbelievable!' He gritted his teeth scornfully. Probably, he should've been happy at the fact that she wasn't working on some project and still, he disrelished her for letting her guards down. Out of all the woman across the galaxy, he had to pick the most careless one for himself. But then, irrespective of how he felt, he knew he needed her; he knew she was his to keep.

At this point, he couldn't quite understand who he detested the most; her for making him feel all sort of stuff he wasn't accustomed to, or himself for seeking her more than required.

He hadn't perceived his own actions until he was hovering over the back of the couch, fierce eyes studying her serene sleeping figure. She looked fragile, exhausted and paler but somehow still gorgeous as ever; and most importantly, she was his. He grimaced resentfully for being attached to her but convinced himself that he had reason to be; the woman bore his infant inside her tummy.

His left hand found solace on her rounded belly, feeling the baby's ki strike back at him; his lips twitched into a smirk. The cub was indeed saiyan; he could feel its energy multiplied daily.