Chapter 36: Adam's P.O.V

Leaving my kids was hard. And I'm not lying. But I had things to do. Places to be. For myself. And for Jessica.

Not only that, I had betrayed my mafia. I was only going to lead them into a dark place. And that is not where they need to be.

I had been... well... associating myself with other people. Bad people. People who do much much worse thing than I. And if anyone on the outside found out, my family and The Red Lions would be put away. For a long time.

Mason's ex-girlfriend was involved. I regret with every fibre in my being dragging her into this. But she and Mason were over. She looked like Jessica. She was the perfect escape for me. And she was also easy to confide in. I told her many things. She's probably already run to Mason to tell him where I've gone.

So, I decided to leave. And that was my decision. I was falling apart inside. That day where I came home drunk to Isabella, well, that just set it off. I got drunk more often, went out sleeping with whores every night, something I promised Jessica I'd never do, and that's when I started doing really bad things that would drag everyone I loved into prison.

Although it may hurt for now, they will understand. I know deep down Felix does, he may be mad right now but he knows. He knows I'm falling apart and will understand I need to get away and fix myself. And John does too. I just hope he realises it soon and takes care of my family.

The last straw for me though, was when I spilled one too many secrets to the said 'bad people'. I can't even bear to think their name, let alone say it aloud. I risked the lives of everyone in my mafia. My family. I know Felix will fix it. Because that's what he does. He fixes everything that I messed up. He's more of father to his siblings than I'll ever be now. He deserves this break I'm taking much more than me.

I'm calling it a break because I hope I'll come back. It may be weeks, months or even years before I do, but when I do, I will be a new man. And if I am welcomed back, I will be the father my children deserve.

———

The plane eventually landed smoothly on the fresh ground

The plane eventually landed smoothly on the fresh ground. Hawaii. The one place Jessica wanted to visit. So I was doing it for her.

Well, part of me was doing it for her. The other part was for-

"Sir, the plane's landed. You need to get off." A pretty air hostess interrupted my train of thought and pulled me back to reality.

"Yes, of course. Sorry." I gathered my bags and walked off the plane and into the heat of Hawaii.

Isabella's P.O.V.
When Joseph came home, he seemed happier. I don't know what he did but he had this sort of happiness surrounding him. We didn't mention anything that had happened over the last few days and I had decided to hopefully try and move on. It was for the best.

3 days later.
"Did I tell you boys that Jason asked me to be his girlfriend?" I said quietly.

I was getting better at speaking again. Around my family and people I was close with, it wasn't so bad. Felix let me have time off school for the time being because talking in front of strangers was still hard. I was taking online classes instead.

"Excuse me?" Mason blinked and looked at me. The football was on the TV and the adverts had just come on. "Can you repeat that?"

"Me and Jason are going out. Officially." I said again, slightly louder.

"Cool." Joe and Leo answered in unison.

"Did you just say cool?" Mason asked, raising his eyebrows. He put his beer on the table which made me slightly regret telling him now. Mason putting his beer down. That meant business.

"Yeah. Took them long enough." Joseph shrugged and I punched him playfully in the arm. At least someone wasn't mad.

"What a little shitbag. I'm gonna kill him No one asks out my little sister without my permission." I heard Mason mutter under his breath. I stood up quickly and blocked the door, as if to stop him leaving. A small smirk grew on his face. "I'm kidding, little sister. As long as he doesn't fuck you, I'm cool with it."

I rolled my eyes as the boys chuckled quietly. And suddenly everyone was hushed by Felix as he came back into the room because the football had come back on.

I snuggled back in between Joe and Leo, shutting my eyes in hope to block out my surroundings and the shouting of my brothers.

I fell asleep thinking about how much happier I have been since things have calmed down. I can only hope it will stay that way.

~~~

Thank you for reading! Comment and vote!
- K