Chapter 19

Roseanne just came home from work. It was her first day back after her short vacation. She was totally exhausted that day because she had a lot of things to take care of.

When she reached her apartment, she realized that she had not seen Chanyeol in school. Though it was a good thing since she badly wanted to avoid him, she still felt strange.

She was left rooted to the spot after turning on the lights in the living room. Because there, in the middle of her living room, was the last person she wanted to see at the moment.

Park Chanyeol.

“What are you doing here?” She exclaimed.

“Roseanne.” He cooed.

“STOP!” She screamed. “You don’t get to do that anymore. I think you’ve done enough, Chanyeol. Please. Just leave.”

“I will. After you hear me out. Please, Roseanne.”

“What else do I need to know? Aside from the fact that you’ve been playing me all this time.”

“Roseanne. I swear, it’s not like that.”

He stood up from the couch and took a step towards her.

She was already crying heavily when she said, “Don’t. Take. Another. Step.” She paused to even her breathing. “I didn’t think I’d have to say this but in case it isn’t clear to you yet, we are done Chanyeol. Of course, we are so done.”

“Yeah, I know. I didn’t expect you to do otherwise.”

“Then what more do you want from me?”

“I, uh . . . I just want you to know that despite everything, my feelings for you were real.”

“REAL? You call that real? That’s bullshit! How do you expect me to believe that?”

“I don’t. Actually, I don’t expect you to believe anything I tell you right now.”

“Then . . . why did you have to come and see me?”

“Because . . . I wanted to check up on you. Like I said, I truly care for you Roseanne.”

“I really don’t believe you.” She fell down on the floor as she continued to bawl. “How could you say it like that? How could you sound so sincere and not mean what you’re saying? How could you be so cruel?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t expect things to turn out like this.”

“Turn out like what? Like me finding out that my boyfriend happened to be someone else’s boyfriend too?”

“No. Roseanne, please . . . Just listen to me.”

She was starting to feel nauseous when she answered. “Fine! Go ahead. It won’t change anything anyway. You still made a fool out of me either way.”

He looked down and avoided her gaze.

“I know. But I was the bigger fool to do that to you.”

Then he heaved a deep breath before continuing.

“I’ve always liked you since the very first time I saw you when you were still a student while I was applying for the faculty position in the music department. You can say that I’ve always had a crush on you. And it was just a harmless little crush, it never changed the way I felt for . . . for Hayeon. But when you became part of the faculty a year ago, I approached you because I really wanted to be your friend. Back then, all I wanted was for us to be friends.”

“But you became greedy.” She sneered.

Chanyeol gulped a lump in his throat, unable to respond to what Roseanne just said. So he did not comment and continued what he came to tell her instead.