Welcome to the Company Lass

Imagine: meeting the company and joining them.

Alex's P.O.V

Bored. Bored. Bored. Why couldn't my job be interesting?? "Hunter!! Get your head out of the clouds and get back to work!!" I heard my boss bark at me before I suddenly felt something hit me up the side of the head - if he hit me one more time, he'll be losing that bloody hand!! However, he was the man that paid me which was the only thing keeping me off of the streets, so as I held back a witty comment or possible (months long) planned assault, I turned away from the bastard and began to clear up all of the empty glasses and plates. Wondering where I work?? The Prancing Pony - a pub and an Inn rolled into on; it was one of those Inn's that travellers would find and decide to stop at to regain their strengths through a warm meal, a pint of beer or wine and a dry place to sleep where a bed could be their's for as long as they paid for. I was one of the few that worked at the Inn - my boss really was near to unbearable to work for so people weren't eager to ask for a job. I, on the other hand, was desperate for money and had enough of pick pocketing the rich and scavenging through people's thrown out food. Upon being one of the very few employee's of the Prancing Pony, my job is to serve the folk their wanted meals and beverages, clean up the bar, sweep up the tables and chairs area, collect and wash the used bowls, plates, glasses and cutlery, replace any empty barrels down in the cellar, provide room service to the paying customers, tidy up the rooms once residents leave and cook some food for whoever is buying. Due to the jobs being rather demanding, I find myself working at the Inn more than anything; it was to the point where I couldn't actually leave the Inn unless I had an arranged and planned day off. If now, I would often work through out the the whole night, taking short naps hidden down in the cellar when I wasn't too busy - until either my boss found me or the residents individual summoning bells would wake me up. It was difficult for the first two months but both my body and mind became rather used to the non stop work - it was just extremely boring!! I would much rather be outside, exploring the woods, practising with a weapon of some kind; something much more exciting. I certainly earned many disapproving looks and head shakes from villagers whenever they saw me carrying either my sword, my dagger or my bow and arrows - those I kept stored away in my bag, locked away in the back room that only the Inn workers were allowed to enter. Not many believed that a woman should be allowed to use such weapons or fight so I tend to train within the forest, hidden away from all of the glaring looks, the rolling eyes and the opinionated whispers - nothing I couldn't handle, but would happily avoid if possible. 

Anyway, returning to the present time, I began to clean and wash the used bowls and glasses - stopping every now and then to serve their paying customers their drinks and food. Where the hell did Thomas, my boss, wander off to?? He always disappeared when there was a lot of work to do!! "Excuse me" a deep voice called out, catching the twenty five year old's attention as I looked up from the glass I was drying to see a very tall, grey haired man stood by the bar - there was only one person I knew who wore an old pointy hat and held a large staff. Grinning at the familiar sight, I wiped my damp hands on the cloth before tossing it to the side as I hurried around the bar to embrace my old friend. "Gandalf!!" I happily exclaimed as I hadn't seen the friendly wizard for almost two months - he always stayed at the Prancing Pony whenever he was passing through and had become rather fond of the young woman, even tipping me more than he should. Laughing fondly, the wizard returned the embrace "it is good to see you young Hunter, good indeed" he stated before we parted; I returned to my post on the other side of the bar, more than happy to prepare the wizard I cared for some food and a drink "you'll be having your usual's I take it??". Seeming impressed by my memory, the wizard nodded with a smile "of course, though would you mind adding fourteen of each to my order??" unlike most of the Inn's customers, Gandalf never demanded anything from the barmaid, always asking politely; his request certainly took me by surprise as he had never travelled or stayed with anyone - he was always quite the lone wolf when it came to his journeys and adventures. "Em...well of course I can" I managed to shake off my surprise "grab a seat and I'll bring them over...though I may need to make a few trips" I explained, hoping - and already knowing - that it would be okay; Gandalf understood, of course, as he reassured her that she could take as long as she needed "we won't be going anywhere, not for tonight at least". And with that, I began to prepare the large and unusual order - it was rather annoying when, on the tenth pint of beer, I had to rush down to the cellar and change the barrel as it had soon become empty; I hated to leave Gandalf waiting as he was one of the few that was polite and kind to me at work. After three minutes of changing the barrel, I returned to the bar and finished pouring the last five pints; I looked around the busy Inn until my eyes landed on the tall wizard who stuck out like a sore thumb.....sat with, what looked to be, thirteen very armed dwarves?? As well as a hobbit?? This was new indeed for Gandalf the Grey. Shaking my head to snap me out of my surprise, I placed the many drinks onto two round trays before approaching the corner of which my current customer and his company had sat themselves. Upon seeing me approach, the wizard sent me a thankful smile as he placed one of the trays down on the table so that I could hand each pint out "here you go, fifteen pints as ordered" I declared with a smile; all of the dwarves seemed very cheerful by sight of ale, some every taking large gulps as soon as the glass was in their grip as the other's politely thanked her before hand. "Where's the food??" one of the dwarves asked, followed by his friend's agreeing with wanting to know as most of them staring at the young woman as I finishing handing out the pints of ale; Gandalf could be seen rolling his eyes at the persistent fellow, earning a small chuckle from myself as I picked up the tray from the table "I'll bring out your food as soon as I can" was all I said in an attempt to reassure the clearly hungry dwarf before hurrying off towards the kitchen in the back of the building.