A Sacrifice

Imagine: as the Company use the barrels to escape the elves of Mirkwood, as well as the now many attacking orcs, Alex notices a particular orc about to shoot an arrow at Kili whilst no one else noticed. Not knowing what else to do, she manages to get in front of Kili and take the arrow that was aimed for his chest.

Alex's P.O.V

The company and I had just escaped our captivity from the elves of Mirkwood by hiding in the large empty barrels as they rolled into and down the river. We crashed into one another and the large bolders as the waves and the force of the water attacked us; it didn't help that we were surrounding by many orcs that ran along the edge of the cliffs, throwing their weapons at us, as well as shooting a mixture of clean and poison covered arrows our way. Thankfully, the company had their own weapons which allowed them to both block the attacks and take down any orcs that got too close - as did I with my sword. It wasn't the most easy battle I had ever experienced - not having control over where you go was the main reason for that. But that wasn't my number one problem. In the corner of my eye, I noticed an orc stood at the edge of on upcoming cliff; it had draw out a bow and arrow, with the arrow aimed at one of us. Scanning around my friends who were still fighting against the orcs that were already attacking up as we passed them, I realised I was the only one to notice this as they were all extremely busy - this wasn't entirely a good thing as one of them were about get shot by a potentially poison covered arrow!! Looking at the orc, I followed his line of sight to work out he was aiming for.......Kili!! With wide eyes, I began to use my arms to row myself towards the young dwarf as I yelled out his name, only for him to not hear me as he was in the middle of fighting off three orcs; I did, however, manage to get his older brother's attention who turned to see why I was calling out for his little brother. It seemed he was the second company member to noticed the arrow wielding orc; he began to do the same as me, both trying to paddle closer to Kili whilst yelling out his name. The young dwarf needed to have his hearing checked because he showed no signs of hearing either of us!!

"Kili!!" I continued to yell out as I somehow managed to grow closer to him - it was difficult due to the crashing waves; it seemed he was finally able to hear my voice as he looked over to me, confused as to why I was now less than two feet away from him when fifteen seconds ago, I was in the middle of the company. Knowing I wasn't going to be able to get close enough to the dwarf in order to block the attack whilst still in the wooden barrel, I did the only thing I could think of in that moment as Kili had yet to spot he dangerous threat that was releasing the arrow - I dropped my weapon to the floor of the small barrel and pushed myself up and out of it, throwing myself in front of the young dwarf who stared with wide and confused eyes. As I hit the rather warm yet forceful water - it would have been rather lovely and fun if the situation was different - I felt a sharp pain attack my left shoulder which earned a loud cry emerge from my mouth before I had completely submerged under the water; the waves, not caring that I was injured, began to thrash me around. Somehow, I managed to return to the surface of the water - though only for a few seconds in order to regain my breath - which thankfully caught the attention of everyone within the company; they were already urgantly searching for me as both Fili and Kili had witnessed me take an arrow to the shoulder before hitting the water and yelled out to the others of what had happened. Turns out, attempting to stay afloat in a wave crashing and currect throwing river whilst having a sharp arrow imbedded in the shoulder was extremely difficult - who knew?? Did it help Beginning to panic, I managed to set aside the grow pain as I used both of my arms to swim up to the surface once again - oh how it hurt like pure hell!! Gasping out for air to fill my screaming lungs, I managed to open me eyes to see two things - the water around me was pure red and the company were all either fighting against the last few remaining orcs or attempting to approach me to help.

I felt relieved but my worry continued to build as both the pain in my shoulder was becoming worse with every passing second and I could feel myself beginning to become slightly light headed from the amount of blood I was losing. 'No Alex!! You have to stay awake!!' I screamed to myself as my eyes landed on a barrel that was growing closer; I managed to focus my sight so that I wasn't seeing three of everything and noticed that inside the barrel was.....Dwalin. "Hold on lass!!" the dwarf yelled as he reached out and gripped onto my right arm, pulling me toward him before picking me up from underneath my arms as he managed to pull me up and into the barrel - it earned my hisses, groans and cries of pain of course, which he continued to mumble apolagise for. Now that I was inside the barrel, it was indeed a very tight squeeze but I had bigger issues to think of - like the arrow sticking out of my left shoulder, the pain that was building up and the fact that I could feel myself becoming even more light headed. Appearing to see this all too clearly, Dwalin wrapped his arm around my waist as he allowed me to lean all of my weight onto him - it really wasn't much "don't worry lass, I'm got you" he reassured "just focus on staying awake for me". Easier said than done. Thankfully, I could hear Thorin declare that all of the orcs had been dealt with and that the company were to get to the upcoming river bank as fast as possible; I also head him call out to Dwalin, asking if their human was still breathing. Deciding to reassure the leader myself, I yelled out - though probably sounding weak  and exhausted "I'm still here!!" it earned a multiple of cheers so I decided to add the less excellent news "but that is beginning....beginning to change!!".