Surprising the King

Imagine: Thorin snaps at Alex over something she said or did, much like he had done many times before. But this time?? Alex has had enough and snaps back, fighting against his harsh words and comments, taking both the leader and the rest of the Company by complete surprise. Since when could Alex stand up for herself Thorin??

Alex's P.O.V

"You nearly got us all killed!!" Thorin's voice boomed out, startling everyone within the Company out of their calm silence; we had just escaped a group of blood thirsty orcs, nearly killing each of us - we had managed to run across a very large bridge and cut it once we were all safely on the other side. The orcs had no way of crossing the large, speeding river below, allowing the group to hurry away and finally take a break from travelling to regain our breaths, as well as drink some water. Only a few seconds passed before our leader's sudden out burst. As we all turned towards the royal dwarf, I realised I was the one he was aiming his words at as his eyes were set on me, glaring daggers into my head; I raised a confused brow at our leader as I returned the nasty stare, though less....harsh. "Excuse me??" did I hear him right?? I even sent a glance to the others, only to see familiar confused faces - even a couple of shrugs; Thorin continued "we all nearly died because of you!! We were being attacked - out numbered by twenty orcs!! We had the mean to escape!! But no!! You risked our lives during that escape plan!!" he spat out, his eyes burning holes into mine as he did so "and for what?! All because that stupid blanket of yours got caught on the bridge and you just had to go back and get it?!" okay....now that stung. It had been like this ever since I had joined this Company - Thorin snapping at me for even the smallest of things, such as joking with Kili and Fili as we travelling to offering to help Bombur with the cooking. And now he was bringing something personal into the mix in order to scold me - my blanket. Standing up from where I was sat on the bolder, I began to finally speak - I wasn't going to take anymore of his bullshit "you know what?? I've had it up to here with you Thorin Oakenshield" I glared at him, ignoring the sudden wide eyes from the others - some even tried to signal for me to stop; Gandalf, however, held an amused smirk as he listened and puffed on his pipe - he'd been waiting for me to do this for....well since the very beginning. 

"Ever since I joined your Company, you either ignore me and act like I'm not here or, when you do actual speak to me, it's only to tell me negative things - I've done something wrong, I've done something I shouldn't have done, I've said something I shouldn't have" I tried my best to remain calm but all of the snaps, all of the criticism...I'd had enough "hell, I breath and you're not happy with me!!". Was the look on Thorin's face complete and utter shock?? Wide eyes?? Taken back by my words?? Absolutely. Each time he snapped and spat his hateful words at me, I always remained silent and did as I was told. Not this time. And it was clear he didn't expect me to do such a thing as stand up to him. Much like everyone else....other than Gandalf of course, who I was surprised wasn't doing a victory dance at this point. "Yes, I went back to get my blanket but I went on my own, risking no other lives but my own!!" I stated truthfully - I would have never put any of them in danger intentionally, especially if I could prevent it "and if I couldn't make it back without the orcs doing the same, I knew either myself or you would have cut the bridge so that would and couldn't happen". All eyes widened around me even more than they already were; Bofur was the first to speak "you....you would have cut the bridge?! With yourself still on it?!" he repeated, followed by Gloin "all for a blanket?!". I mentally sighed as I turned away momentarily to calm my rising annoyance and irritation, continuing to chant 'stay calm - they don't understand, stay calm - they don't understand, stay calm - they don't understand'. Dwalin stated that they would have happily bought me a blanket once we reached the next town on our journey; that's what made all of my hard mental work go out the window as I spun around. "Why can't you tell and understand that I don't another damn blanket!?" I yelled, hating myself for doing so - I once again turned away and forcefully smashed my fist against the tree that I was standing next to; I hurt like hell and I'm sure the grunt that slipped through my teeth indicated as such. Rubbing my now throbbing and gashed knuckles, I felt all the anger drain from my body, only to be replaced with sorrow as I clutched the blanket to my chest; I lent against the tree I had just assaulted, my forehead pressed to the rough bark as I attempted to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill. 

"Alex??" I heard Kili called to me, his voice stained with worry and concern; I took a deep breath before speaking, though I mentally beat myself for how....weak my voice sounded. "The...the blanket.....it's one of the very few things that I....I have left of....of...." I couldn't get the damn words out and the stupid tears were building up "...of what??" Fili asked. For god sake!! No the tears!! As one single tear fell, more followed "my...my parents" I somehow managed to choke out; this was a very personal and extremely difficult thing to talk about for me - clearly. 

Thorin's P.O.V

Her....her parents?? I shared a glance with the rest of the Company, only to see the same worry, confusion and concern I felt. Also....did Alex actually think I would cut the bridge when she was still on it?! I would have to address that stupid thought later, as right now, she was seeming to refuse to look at us, still leaning against the tree she had punched. I could see Ori was silently begging to take a look at the young woman's injured hand, searching his bag for something - I assumed it to be ointment and a bandage; I couldn't deny that I felt the same way, praying her hand wasn't broken or anything serious. Hesitantly, the woman slowly began to turn around until she was facing us, only she kept her head down; it still allowed us to see her fallen tears which I'm sure she was mentally beating herself for. "I...I only have two belongings that my parents gave me" she explained, her injured hand rising up until she was holding...the necklace that was secure around her neck - it looked to be a silver locket, a small ruby at its centre  (author's note: the locket in the photo at the top)"my mother...she gave me this locket on my the last birthday I celebrated with them" she explained before clutching the blanket to her chest tighter "and my....my father made me this blanket for when I was born....I've never parted from it". Imagine the largest wave suddenly attack you - that's how I felt with the guilt that had built up ever since Alex had stood from her seat on the boulder "so you see....this blanket isn't something I can just replace...that's why I risked my life to get it back" she admitted; her eyes landed on my own before she sighed "I'm sorry Thorin...I never meant to put anyone else in harms way....but I'm never going to get anything from either of my parents again....I couldn't lose it". I....I didn't know what to say. She was apologising after completely confronting me about my hostility towards her.....why?! "No...don't be" I gently ordered "you're right...I've been nothing but out right horrid to you since we met....and I had no right to yell when I didn't understand the personal connection you had to that blanket". Her surprised and taken back expression made me feel both warm inside and heartbroken - I now realised just how cruel I was to her; this was probably why she thought I would have cut the bridge with her still on it if the orcs were about to reach us. 

As the whole group fell into a complete and awkward silence, Gandalf finally stood from his place on a tree trunk "I believe we should be on our way" he declared; we all immediately agreed before grabbing our things and hurrying to continue on our journey. As we began to walk through the rock covered land, I glanced over towards the only human in the group to see her wiping down her blanket of the dirt that it had collected from being caught on the bridge before shoving it into her bag; she hurried to wipe away her tears which had seemed to finally stopped - I was partly grateful as the sight of her crying....it was an image that I doubt would ever leave my mind. I needed to change the way I was towards Alex - I knew that to be a fact. I made a promise to myself to be nice to the twenty five year old, check up on her, offer her help, listen to what she has to say and make sure she's okay. If she ever needs a shoulder to cry on, someone to listen to her, even someone to hold her when she feels low - I'm going to make sure to be an option she feels safe to choose. That, I swore to both myself and her.