Reading

Imagine: Alex is reading a book on her own when Thorin asked if he could join her. He makes one final request - would she read to him??

Author's note: Thorin managed to avoid the gold sickness and the battle of the five armies never happens.

Alex's P.O.V

So much had happened since I joined the Company of Thorin Oakenshield: the long and leg exhausting journey to the Lonely Mountain, dealing with the elves and people of Lake Town, stealing the Arkenstone from the treasury with Bilbo, defeating Smaug and rebuilding Erebor - as well as helping Lake Town repair the damage that damn dragon had caused. All seemed to be rather....peaceful now. Thorin had stepped up and became the King that he is, beginning to rule and handle all of the things that would restore the peace, as well as his home. Ever since we had killed Smaug, however, I hadn't seen the leader as he was so busy; we all had out jobs to deal with - from helping the villagers in Lake Town to cleaning up Erebor - but the dwarf king was always on the move, either locked away in his study handling the stacked up paper work or attending meets with other rulers who came to visit to make deals. I, myself, had been hurrying around to help with whatever I could, though I mostly tended to the wounded with Bilbo and Ori; the hobbit, much like myself, had agreed to stay in Erebor for a while until all was sorted. Gandalf had left for Rivendell. A memorial took place for those who were taken to soon due to Smaug's violent attack - the bodies which hadn't burnt to ashes by the fire breathing dragon were buried not too far from either Lake Town or Erebor; I had helped with digging the many graves - it was an extremely emotional experience. One of which Fili and Kili also helped with. Today was no different when it came to how busy we all were. I had checked on the wounded after having some breakfast and was in the middle of sweeping and clearing some of the paths within Lake Town, along side some of the healthy town folk, when....well I'm not too sure of what actually happened but Bard - who was next to me at the time as he also helped with the digging and sweeping - said I had seemed to faint for a split moment before managing to snap myself out of it. Thankfully, Bard had noticed how my eyes rolled to the back of my head as he stopped momentarily to look over as he told a joke; I'm sure I would have laughed as he surprisingly has some of the best jokes - he and the young princes would get along greatly. But I began to fall to the floor as I lost consciousness. Not wanting me to hurt myself by the impact of the fall, Bard lunged forward and managed to catch my limb body, holding me up as I blinked my eyes repetitively to come back to reality.

Concerned, the King of Dale stayed with me, holding a supportive arm around my waist until I was able hold myself up on my own feet - he had asked someone to bring me some water; I thanked him but told him I was fine - my attempted reassurance wasn't believed of course. Couldn't say I blamed him. Once he had made sure I had drank the entire cup of water, Bard practically ordered me to return to Erebor and rest "it's clear you've been working nearly twenty four seven" he stated, his voice lased with worry - we had become good friends since he helped the Company and I when we first met "you're making yourself ill Alex!!". I knew he was right. I had been coming out to check on the wounded every three to four hours, helping with the large clean up and assisted with the rebuild of Erebor - I had even been checking on nearly everyone within the Company, as well as Bard, to make sure they were taking care of themselves by eating warm decent meals and not staying up late so that they could get at least seven hours of sleep at night. Yet here I was, getting up through out the night to continue with my main job, only getting around two to three hours of sleep each night and missing out on meals. Knowing I wasn't going to win this, as well as the fact that the King was right, I handed over my shovel and made my way back towards the Lonely Mountain - not so lonely anymore in my opinion. Upon returning to Erebor, I ate a ham sandwich and drank some milk which the royal cook kindly and happily prepared for me - it seemed he had also noticed my meal skips - before proceeding to walk through the many hallways until I found myself in my large and royal bed chambers which Thorin had cleaned up and given me to live in whilst I stayed with them. I attempted to sleep for a bit, succeeding with two hours, until I accepted that was all I was getting; I knew I wasn't allowed to work today - King Bard's strict orders - so I grabbed a book I had found when helping with cleaning and arranging the enormous library within the mountain. It was a childhood favourite of mine - about a beautiful woman who falls in love with a cursed prince after he locks her up in his castle due to her father stealing something from him....I know, it sound more like stockholm syndrome but it's so romantic, sweet and hold a good message to all - don't fall in love with someone based on looks, but on what they are like on the inside. There personality.