Beyond a Promise: Part One

Imagine: Thorin tells Alex about the gold sickness and his families history relating to it, asking her to protect Erebor from from both him and it if he became affected. What happens when he does fall for the sickness?? How will Alex take charge and handle everything in order to keep her promise??

Alex P.O.V

After a long and tiring day of walking through forests and across running rivers, Thorin finally called for the company to stop for the night; he barked out orders, telling everyone what to do in order to make and prepare camp. I, for example, was to help Fili and Kili collect enough fire wood that see us through the cool night; we set out as soon as we dumped out belongings down onto the group, venturing out into the surrounding woodland as we talked and joked with one another. The two brother's always knew how to make me laugh, thinking up random yet hilarious stories to fill any boring silence; I was grateful for their offered friendship as we had grown close, just as I had with many members of the company. Though, more some then others. Bilbo certainly enjoyed my company, spending a lot of his time either with myself or Gandalf; I think the dwarves intimidate him slightly, though he still managed to go along with their conversations. Whilst I helped find suitable firewood, I found a few bushes of blueberries; my eyes lit up, earning a raised brow from the two brother's as they watched me hurry over to the food source. "The other's will love some delivious fruit!!" I stated with excitement as I stood beside the bush, glancing over to see two pairs of grins as they noticed the blueberries; Kili walked over and took my share of logs and sticks, encouraging me to pick as many as I could carry "they'll all love you for it" he grinned. While I didn't think the fruit would hold such a strong effect, I agreed as I grabbed the bottom of my dress and held it up, using it as a bag as I began to pick the small fruit "I might be here for a while" I stated as I looked over my shoulder "I'll meet you both back at camp". Returning the statement, the brother's began to turn and make their way back to where we had stopped, having collected more than enough firewood; Fili did halt and turn back to me, however, as he asked if I had my weapons on my person "don't I always??" I smirked. Chuckling, he agreed before telling me to yell if I needed any assistance; I promised to do so if necessary, easing his slight worry about leaving me on my own. The dwarves had grown somewhat protective over me as our time together increased, yet they knew I could protect myself, having proved such a think more than once. Satisfied with my promise, Fili faced away from me and joined his younger brother as they made their way back through the forest; I watched them until the pair disappeared through the trees before resuming my new self assigned task.

Thorin's P.O.V

As the camp came together, I glanced around as the group finished their jobs and began to rest on their bedrolls; the fire had been started but it needed more firewood, to which I had sent my two nephews and Alex - in hopes that she might be able to keep them out of trouble - out to collect. Talking of which, my eyes soon landed on the two young dwarves as they emerged from the trees; I rose a brow as I realised that they were alone - no female human. "Fili!! Kili!!" I called out as the pair dropped their arms full of wood beside Bofur who was tasked with handling the fire; the pair looked over, making their way towards my place by the bolder that I was sitting against "where's Hunter??" I questioned with a raised brow, my voice giving nothing away - not even more slight concern. Kili happily explained how she was collecting some food that she had come across, but had told them to return to camp as it would take her some time; I nodded in understanding, dismissing the pair who made their way over towards their belongings, unrolling their bedrolls and laying them beside the other with a small gap between them. Taking a moment to think, I pushed myself up from the ground and grabbed my sword, reattaching it to my belt - I had removed both my weapons and coat before sitting down, wishing to clean them the best I could - before beginning to walk the path I had watched my nephews use. Entering the forest, I used my tracking skills as I continued; it only took me ten minute of speedily storming through the woods before I caught sight of my target. Alex had her back facing me, busily working on whatever was in front of her as she hummed and sing a familiar tune; I realised that the song was one about the misty mountains, one that I and the other dwarves used to remember my long lost home. Remaining silent, I merely listened to her soft and elegant voice, as if under a trance, before - merely twenty seconds later - she came to a stop "can I help you??" she questioned, startling me as I snapped myself back into reality; I stepped forward and stood beside the woman, apolagising for spying on her "but I did not want to interrupt you" I explained, adding how she had a melodious voice, to which she thanked. Ignoring the slight pink tint that graced the twenty five year old's cheeks, I asked how she had known it was me when her back had remained facing me the entire time "I didn't" she grinned, glancing over to me as I rose a confused brow "just knew that someone was there". Nodding, I looked down to what she was picking and placing into her make shift basket, praising her for the good find and stating how Bombur will be most pleased.