At Your Service

Imagine: Alex, a young human who lost her parents when she was much younger, lives with Bilbo Baggins - her adoptive uncle - in the Shire. She returns home one night to find a hand full of dwarves raiding the pantry full of food and her uncle seeming to be losing his mind. Alex opens the door when someone knocked to reveal....two more dwarves?!

Alex's P.O.V

As I hummed a gentle tune, I noticed I was fastly approaching my home in Bag End; I had left an hour ago as my dear uncle Bilbo had pracically insisted we needed some fresh and juicy apples from the apple trees...which were on the outskirts of the shire!! But of course, I was unable to say no to the kind hobbit so I had wrapped my cloak around my shoulders, grabbed a basket and left with a skip in my step. Upon my arrival, however, something carved into the gate - which I had painted only a week ago - caught my eye; it was...a glowing symbol of some kind?! Knowing it was too late in the night to do anything, I shook my head disapprovingly as I entered through the garden and approached the front door; as I grew closer to the small home, I began to hear....laughter and chatter?? And many footsteps?? And the sound of heavy objects being moved?? 'What in god's name is uncle Bilbo doing?! And who is he with?!' I wondered as I opened the door and stepped in; I halted all movement as soon as the door closed - had I entered the right hole under the hill?! There....there were dwarves!! Some were coming in and out of the pantry with arms full of food, others were moving some of the kitchen furniture which seemed to make more room for them to sit around the table and there were a few more collecting plates, bowls and cups from the shelves. And there was my uncle Bilbo who seemed to be going out of his mind as he appeared to attempt to stop the dwarves from their tasks, telling them to stop or to at least be careful. As soon as his eyes met my own confused ones, he made a B-line towards me as I asked what the hell was going on "I don't know!!" he exclaimed "I was preparing out dinner when someone knocked at the door, it turned out to be a dwarf called Dwalin and he just let himself in!!" he explained as he continued to lose it "then after that, more knocks came followed by more dwarves!! And now I have a home full of dwarves who are helping themselves to our food, using the stools to clean their boots, moving the chairs and table!!".

Taking off my cloak, I gently rubbed the hobbits arm in order to calm and comfort him "here, why don't you take these apples to the pantry??" I suggested as I held out the basket; Bilbo took them with a brief smile before realising "thank you my dear, but these dwarves will probably take them for their feast tonight" and with that, he hurried off. Chucking to myself, I folded my cloak and placed it in a cupboard when I suddenly heard a knock of the front door - surely it wasn't yet another dwarf!? Taking a deep breath, I approached the door and opened it to reveal....yup, two more dwarves. They seemed to share familiar features which made me assume they were some what related - maybe brothers?? One had long blonde hair with a matching beard whilst the other had brown shoulder length hair with some stuble - both had braids decorating their hair; they also looked like they were around my age, though I could be wrong as I knew there was an age difference between all races. Though I'd be wrong in saying they weren't rather attractive and nice to the eye. 'Not now Alex!! Bigger issues!!' I mentally scolded myself, remembering all that was happening around me. "Fili" the blonde spoke, followed by his friend "Kili" I assumed they were introducing themselves and that those were their names - they had to be brothers, surely; they both bowed at me, seemingly to be in sync as they spoke "at your service". Fighting the slight blush that wished to grace itself upon my cheeks, I sent both dwarves a small polite smile as I returned the bow with one of my own "Alex Hunter at yours" I took note of how both dwarves smiled brightly before attempting to walk through the door; I managed to stop them by stepping in their way "forgive me but...what are you doing here??" I asked. The brothers - I decided they had to be - rose a brow at me as Fili spoke up "we're here for the meeting" he explained; I rose a brow of my own in confusion "the meeting?? But...there is no meeting" I stated.

The two dwarves shared a look of worry "don't tell me it's been cancelled" Kili exclaimed as he and his brother frowned; I was taken back by his concern "cancelled?? No, nothing's being cancelled -" I was cut off as the two dwarves grinned happily and gently pushed their way into my shared home "that's a relief". And with that, they were inside. Sighing, I closed the door as I heard my uncle ask someone to not wipe their feet on his mother's favourite stool - it was an ugly thing but I kept my mouth shut as now really wasn't the time. Turning around, I was suddenly handed an arm full of weapons from the two brothers who told me to be careful and they had only just had the dangerous weapons sharpened and cleaned; I was taken back by their order before they walked off to join the other dwarves who seemed to know the brothers. Huffing in annoyance, I gently placed the sharp items in the corner of the door way before hurrying to find my uncle; he must be surely be ripping his blonde curly locks out by now. To my relief, he wasn't....he was just banging his head against the wall; I sighed before we both heard a knock from the door. Bilbo, ranting to no one in particular, opened the door, only for a handful of dwarves to fall through the door way and to the floor. Taking a deep breath, I went over and helped some of...our guests?? Up from the floor before they continued through the house to join their friends. They were still preparing their feast when all of a sudden, a voice could be heard from the front door which both my uncle and I had stupidly left open "I see they are all nearly here". I recognised that voice!! Chucking as if I should have known this was down to his doing, I turned to come face to face with the wizard "Gandalf!!" I exclaimed, happy to see my old friend, though my voice held a warning; I spoke as he entered my shared home "what the hell is going on?!" I demanded to know as he ventured through the hallways with myself in toe "I leave for an hour to gather some apples, only to return to a group of dwarves in my home trying to create some kind of feast, more arriving to help and join in, and my poor uncle ready to rip his hair out!!". The old wizard chuckled as he ducked down in order to not hit his head on the roof "this is a very important gathering that concerns both youself and your uncle, my dear Alex" and that was all he said before taking a seat at the table that was now full of food.

Kili's P.O.V

Who was she?! As soon as that round door opened and my eyes landed on her, I felt as if my entire body and my mind had entered a trance. She was beautiful. Her long brown hair that held the mixture of blonde - the decorations of braids would suit her very much, her tanned smooth skin, her deep blue eyes, her light strawberry red lips, the purple dress allowed to show off her curves but also allowed her to look rather innocent as well. She was that of a treasure. Someohow, though I really don't know how exactly, I managed to state my name after my brother and bow at the maden that had opened the door to us; she introduced herself - Alex Hunter was her name. I will admit, she did worry both my brother and I as, by the way she was speaking, it sounded like the meeting had been cancelled - but surely we would have been informed if it was, even though this meeting was extremely important. Thankfully, the angel before us had reassured both my brother and I that nothing had been cancelled; it was much more reassuring when my eyes caught sight of Dwalin in the back of the small home that seemed to be a hole in the ground. Soon enough, both Fili and I found ourselves helping set up a table with food, adding chairs so that there was enough room for fourteen people - one for everyone within the Company. I wonder if I should set up another for Alex?? And mayby that really short fellow who seems to be going crazy?? Before I could, however, I was pulled into a seat by my brother as our feast began; we had all noticed one very important person some missing - my uncle Thorin. The room was filled with voiced - whether it was from people talking or laughing - as we ate up; I looked around the room to see that young woman - who appeared to be human - was lent against the door way that led to the current room we were all in. She appeared to be watching us with a raised brow before her friend approached her, rubbing his forehead in what seemed to be fustration; she patted him on the shoulder, as if to comfort him before telling him something. I wondered what but became distracted by a fistful of meat passing my face; the room erupted into a food fight. And after a few minutes, when I looked back to where Alex was stood....I saw she was no longer there. Well, I sure hope I'll be able to get to know her more and better whilst I'm here. Who knows?? Maybe I'll meet her again in the future after Gandalf finds this burglar we need so much??

....If only you knew Kili. If only you knew....