Grim Times

The heavy beat of wings could be heard for miles. As a dark mass passed overhead of docked ships, dragons and humans alike could be seen shrinking away in fear. Red and black dragons landed on an island in the center of it all with a heavy thunk.

The dragons carrying the mass landed down at the entrance to an eerie looking chained over pit. The mass revealed itself to be some sort of flying contraption, made specifically to be carried by dragons.

The many guards of the pit lined above and around the entrance, aiming arrows at the dragons, and a silver haired man who stepped off the mechanism. As the pit doors opened more guards came out with swords at the ready to attack the dragons that stalked at the sides of the silver haired man.

"Deathgrippers..." Guards could be heard whispering as the man and his dragons sauntered into the pit.

The man stared into the pit from the shadows, observing the frantic and chaotic interactions between man and beast. The Deathgrippers who had walked beside him now slinked into the pit, hissing and growling at nearby dragons. Finally deciding to make his presence known, he slowly approached the armoured people who discussed plans over a mapped table. "My dear warlords!"

"How go your plans to conquer the world?" The silver haired man asked the group, knowing full well that their plans weren't going anywhere. The bulky warlord gave a hearty laugh.

"Grimmel! My old friend! Thank you for coming-" The cheerful, bulky man was cut off as a Deathgripper pounced onto him, threatening to pierce him with its stinger tail. He struggled to breathe under the weight.

"A year since Dragos defeat, and no further along with your dragon army?" Grimmel questioned, subtly mocking them as he approached the map.

"You can thank the young chief of Berk for that!" The woman of the group stated. "Stoicks boy?"

"He and his peace loving dragon riders continue to raid our ships AND steal our dragons." The bulky warlord breathed out as Deathgripper saliva dripped onto his face. "That does sound like a nuisance," Grimmel responded, clearly not impressed.

"But I'm in the business of killing dragons, not retrieving them." Grimmel followed up, tossing a wood boat from his hand to the side and beckoning the Deathgrippers to him. "Aah, but Grimmel!" The bulky warlords huffed as he scrambled to his feet.

"That idiot boy has done all the work for you, gathering the dragons in one place," Grimmel explained as he walked back to the entrance of the pit. "Why bother me?"

"Because... the flock is protected by not one, but two Nightfuries." The martial warlords of the group announced. This stopped Grimmel in his tracks.

"Two..." He mutters to himself, to low for anyone to hear. "Impossible." He states loud enough for the warlords to hear.

"Well, it seems some slipped through your fingers." The martial warlord taunts. "Look,"

"Berk's dragons will follow their alpha, so we'll pay you to capture him and bring the flock to us." The bulky warlords attempts to bargain with Grimmel. "We even have your favourite baiiiit~" He motions to a nearby cage.

"The only dragon they left us from last nights raid." The martial warlord adds, clearly annoyed at having to remember the loss. "A female?"

"Hmmm..." Grimmel thinks to himself as the beautiful, white dragon curls closer to herself.

"So do we have a deal?" The bulky warlord asks, a smirk spread across his face. "Old friend..."

The warlords had just stuck out his hand and not a second later an angered cry rang throughout the pit. A Rumblehorn had broken loose from its chain bindings and was charging directly for the warlords and Grimmel. Grimmel simply turned around and shot the charging beast with his crossbow. The Rumblehorn collapsed to the floor on impact and the warlords stared in bewilderment and awe as the dust cleared.

"When all is said and done... this young chief will bring me the Nightfuries. They don't have a leader," Grimmel kicked his foot out from under the fallen beast and continued his walk back to the entrance. "Just a boy..."

Later that evening, on an island called Berk a familiar dark scaled dragon could be seen hopping around with its rider. It was then that its eyes shot wide and it leaped down from the cliff it was on to investigate a peculiar and alluring call from the woods. Not yet knowing that the source of that call would change its life, and those around it, forever...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Just thought I'd let you know that you should expect a chapter every Friday, and if I don't publish one that day I will publish TWO the next day! (✿◠‿◠)