Jealousy Rising

Twilight's POV

The air is crisp and the clouds are like fluffy piles of sheep wool... if it weren't for the reason we're out here, some might have even called it beautiful.

"I'm sure she's around here somewhere..." Toothless mutters. We're supposed to be looking for the Light Fury, but I'm not putting much effort into the search. I'd much rather go home and forget we ever met this she-fury...

"If we don't find her by the time I can see the moon, we're going back. Okay?" I tell Toothless, gliding closer to him. He sighs.

"Okay... I guess we could always try again later-" Toothless is cut off by a sudden echoing boom. It doesn't sound that far off, could it be her?

"Let's check it out." He states as he flies towards the source of the sound. I follow suit without a word.

We look around for a minute until we notice the odd curves in the cloud slightly below us. We fly closer to get a better view, and from the vapour and wind, a familiar white figure reveals herself. Seeing her in this light, she really is beautiful... the way the sunlight dances on her scales, eyes that are the purest of freshwater blue... I can see why anyone would be infatuated with her.

"You actually came, and you brought your friend too." The she-fury says, voice as soft as a summer breeze.

"Yeah! You caught us at a good time, we were going to head back if we couldn't find you." Toothless states, showing off his new tail fin prosthetic as he does.

"Ha, you were planning on going back? Why?" The she-fury raised an eye ridge, seemingly puzzled at the idea. I was like her once, I couldn't fathom why any dragon would even want to be around humans. Now, I can't imagine a world without them.

"Before we give you our life stories, would you mind telling us your name?" I ask before Toothless can overwhelm the she-fury with the details of our life.

"Ah, you're right! My bad, My name is Lunaura. You are...?" She responds with a gentle smile.

"I'm Toothless! This pretty lady next to me is Twilight." Toothless beams while I hide my blushing face. Why is it always so embarrassing when he compliments me in front of other dragons...?

Lunaura grins and barrel rolls over us so that she's on our right, closer to Toothless.

"Try to keep up!" Lunaura laughs and shoots off into the clouds. Toothless grins and wastes no time chasing after her.

"Hey, wait!-" Aaaaand he's gone. That guy, when I get the chance he will NEVER hear the end of it...

I eventually catch up by catching a good drift of wind. I almost lost sight of them at one point.

"Hey Twi, nice of you to join us~" Toothless jokes, but I scowl and he shuts himself up faster than he can fly.

Toothless and I trail silently behind Lunaura for some time until we come up to a large, dark, spiralling cloud. You can even see lightning flashing every so often. Lunaura fearlessly flies right into the eye of the storm, and with me being stubborn and Toothless being curious, we follow right after her. If Kania were to ever find out about this... I'm not sure what she'd do.

The inside of the cloud itself is extremely dark, save for the occasional lightning strikes. It is, however, a lot calmer than I imagined it would be. It's a bit hard to keep up with Lunaura, but thankfully we reach a sort of clearing in the cloud. It helps that she has shiny, white scales too.

"Follow my lead." She says. As if we weren't already following her enough. Lunaura shoots a plasma blast a little ways ahead of her and then proceeds to dive through it. She becomes completely enveloped and then disappears. It's as if she vanished into thin air... but then she reappears a little ways ahead.

"Go on, try it!" Lunaura calls to us. As if it's that easy, and with such unclear instructions no less! Regardless, Toothless looks determined to try it. Of course, he fails. We've tried things like this before, but it's never done anything.

"Uh, Tooth, I don't think it's gonna work for us..." I nudge him sympathetically. He shakes his head.

"I'll make it work!" He proclaims boldly. He closes his eyes and looks to be in a deeply focused state. The spines on his start to glow just when I'm about to tell him to quit, and I glide back in case something backfires. He seems to channel lightning through his body as he rears up and releases the pent up energy. With that, he vanishes from view. A wave of panic washes over me for a brief second, but it soon subsides as I spot the sizzled figure of Toothless not too far away. He burps out a puff of smoke as I bump him upwards to make sure he doesn't crash into the cold waters far below. Lunaura swiftly catches up to us and congratulates Toothless.

"That was great! A little different, but you got the job done!" She remarks as she comes to fly beside Toothless. His eyes sparkle as he gazes at her and puffs his chest out with pride. It was only for a moment, but I felt a pang in my heart. It was a deep, venomous knot that seemed to paralyze my whole body. It passed as quickly as it came and yet... it felt like an eternity.

When I come back to my senses I see that Toothless and Lunaura have gone ahead together again. I growl louder than intended, I even shocked myself at how loud it was. What is wrong with me today...?

As I rise out of the clouds with Toothless, I take notice of the moon. It's already this late? I turn to Toothless to voice my concerns when I get a big lick to the face. I feel my face heat up as Toothless giggles and sticks out his tongue. I give a small chuckle as Lunaura calls us over from farther ahead as we dive after her.

The is alive as its colourful lights coat the icy water, making it seem as if it was the one glowing. The three of us glide across the water, not one of us uttering a word. I glance to my left to check on Toothless, but my eyes are immediately drawn to Lunaura resting her wing on Toothless's and watching him longingly. The gross, unfamiliar knot comes back harder this time and in a flurry of emotions, I shove myself between the two.

I don't know why I did that... I should apologize. Just as I open my mouth to apologize the words become lost to the large pit we come to float over. The ocean is spilling in from all sides, and jaded rocks covered in old, broken ships line the ring. I turn to Lunaura and Toothless who are talking beside me to question where we are when lunaura chuckles and grabs Toothless claw to claw. She yanks him down into the abysmal pit, and with barely enough time to process what happened I dive after them. The knot comes back, and this time it stays long enough for me to finally understand what it is.

It's jealousy. Seething and unrelenting jealousy.

____________________________________________________________

Hello everyone! Yes, I am alive, COVID-19 has not claimed me! I hope you're all safe and healthy, first and foremost. Times are kind of messed up right now and there is a lot of fear. Secondly, I want to apologize for being absent. I was stressed about the situation and wanted to make sure I had my footing before continuing this story. From now on, chapters will probably come inconsistently. Writing chapters for this story can sometimes feel like a chore, so I want to wait for when I have motivation and excitement to write. It might even take weeks for a new chapter to come out sometimes, as you've probably noticed. I can promise you that I will be finishing this story though. I hope you're all staying safe and finding ways to keep busy, peace!