Unwelcome

Kania's POV

"We should go..." is the last sentence I hear from Hiccup before everything is thrown into chaos. A Rumblehorn had somehow crept up on us and alerted the whole cavern to our alien presence.

I barely hear Astrid calling for Stormfly as we tumble down the crystal ledge we hid behind, dodging the shards and clusters. Dragons land around us as we narrowly avoid their teeth and tails. Once we reach the bottom we sprint away from the bombardment of dragons. Right when I think we're about to become dragon food, I feel myself lifted off the ground by a pair of comforting, scaley arms. It's Twilight. She and Toothless picked us up and are flying to the exit. I see Toothless drop Astrid onto Stormfly and the Fury I rode here appears alongside us not long after with... another Night Fury?! Wait... no... that's one of ours! When did she get here?...

Twilight's POV

The flight back to New Berk was... quiet. Almost unnaturally so. Toothless was irritated about something beyond the fact that not one, but two of our kids came. Lopt had the excuse of bringing Kania, but Stella... we never expected she of all our kids would do something this risky. She's always been curious about the world, but she's never been so bold as to go on her own before. She apologized but I'm not sure if she should. On one hand, it's mine and Toothless's fault she followed us, but on the other hand, she left without telling anyone and could have ended up seriously hurt if some stranger dragon wanted to.

Once New berk is in sight, we choose to go to a more secluded part of the island in a small field. Kania rubs my head as she slides off my back. I can tell from the look in her eyes that she's blaming herself. She has no reason to, none of what happened was her fault. I've come to see over the years though that this is just something she does sometimes. I nudge her and lick her hand, doing my best to comfort her. She gives me a weak smile before turning her attention to Hiccup.

"It's okay bud, you guys belong there. With them. We don't." He states. A sombre look on his face and the slouch he does when he's upset. What is he talking about? Our place is with the people of Berk."And that's alright. We'll find a way to man-"

A slight rustle from the tall grasses nearby alerts Toothless and I to another presence. A familiar scent wafts over and... Luneaura pokes her head out above the grass! I didn't even notice she was following us! I feel Hiccup's mood lift instantly as Toothless and I bound towards her. I spot Lopt and Stella flying away to go tell the rest that we've returned. I try and encourage Luneaura to meet our riders. Suddenly something in the air changes. Not in a good way. Luneaura seems to have picked up on it too.

"Fly!" She cries as she shoots off into the sky. She doesn't make it very far when something small is shot into her neck and she comes crashing down. I chase after Toothless who is already halfway to her.

"Toothless stop!" I call out to him, but to no avail. "You need to stop!"

The next thing I see is Toothless's limp body on the ground with Grimmel standing over him with shackles. The sight makes me hiss and I prepare to fire at him, but he's faster. Something sharp lodges itself in my neck and I flop onto the dirt. I've lost all feeling in my limbs. I feel a chill wrap itself around my body as my vision gets blurry, but I can vaguely make out Kania below me. Below me? My thoughts keep slipping in and out until my energy runs out and I give into the dark.