Always a Step Ahead

Hiccup's POV

The midnight fog has always been my favourite method of sneaking into things. You would have the cover of night and the thick ocean mist to shroud yourself from enemy view. However, tonight is different. Tonight Toothless isn't here. Pushing down the knot making anxiety hasn't been easy, but it's nothing I can't handle.

The yellow light of the battleships peeks through the dense fog just enough to provide the view of a large castle-like structure. Astrid looks back at me and I nod in acknowledgement. I slip off Stormfly's saddle and dive to land on the base of the structure. As I land and reset my flight gear, I hear the faint echos of talons and feet landing onto the cold, wet stone behind me. After securing the position of the dragons, we make our way to the entrance.

We make it inside the structure unseen, but the hard part is yet to come. We have to actually get to Grimmel, which won't be easy seeing as his acid-spitting dragons prowl the area. The gang and I peek over the rock pile we're hiding behind.

"Okay, split up. We'll be harder to catch." Snotlout whispers, flipping on his helmet.

"I was thinking we should split up. Just because." Eret adds. Everyone nods in agreement and spread out.

"I like your instincts." Valka comments in a hushed voice.

"What is this?" I hear Snotlout mutter to himself as I make my way to the spiralling stairs in the center of the room.

As expected, actually climbing to the top of the building was a challenge. Everyone had their own ways of getting up, although I wish SOME would be more discreet... but eventually I make it to the top. I ignite Inferno, my trusted blade, and start making my way through the upstairs section. Almost immediately upon entry, I notice vials full of a purple substance on a nearby table. Just as I go over to inspect the contents the walls start to shake and the booming reverberation of metal slamming into solid rock rings in my ears. After gathering my bearings, I scan around and take note that the once open ceiling was now closed off with metal, as well as the rest of the exits to the structure.

"Where's your dragon when you need him?" Mockery laces Grimmel's words. "Hm chief?"

Grimmel chuckles darkly "Must've forgotten all about you." I take off my helmet to better take in the surroundings. "First rule of the hunt... separate the prey from its pack. You've just removed yourselves from the equation!"

"Why are you doing this?" I question. If I can understand his motives, maybe I can stop him here.

"Really? I didn't think you cared!" Grimmel responds with false stupefaction, phony sincerity ever apparent. "Unlike you, when I was a boy and I came upon a Nightfury I KILLED it where it slept! That simple act of courage made me a hero in my village. So I decided to kill every last one, bringing real peace to the people of this world until you came along. Preaching that dragons are something other than thieves and murderers! Pshsh! That nonsense dies now! Starting with you."

"But you have dragons of your own!" I feel rage beginning to boil my blood. it was as if my body had sucked up the fire from my now extinguished blade.

Grimmel's laugh was empty. "These? They're dragon killers! Drugged into obedience with their own venom. Not even your precious alpha could control them, they serve me and only me. Allow me to demonstrate." Suddenly Grimmel gave a sharp whistle.

"Take cover!" I yell out in warning to my teammates as the previously standing by dragons begin firing acid onto anything that moved. What was once a dark and cold building was now a hot and deadly cage. It smells of molten metal and something I can't put a name on.

"Split up!" I overhear Astrid shout, then everyone started climbing to the roof which was our best chance of escape.

Everything was in total chaos. I can't help but blame myself for all of this. I should have planned better. I shouldn't have underestimated Grimmel. I should've insisted we found the Hidden World first-

"Up here!" Mom calls out and beckons us upward to her. Having backup would be nice right about now!

The acid and fire burned away my bridge to our exit. I only have one choice. I have to jump across.

"Hiccup!" Mom cries out in alarm. I take a few steps back and take a deep breath, then charge forward and leap. I feel a firm grip on my wrist as I narrowly dodge being chomped in half by one of the enemy dragons. As we clear out into the sky I spot Kania on the back of the new resident Crimson Goregutter. She gives out a fierce battle cry as she and the Goregutter smash through and topple the castle.

As we fly away, we leave behind a petulant Grimmel to watch us make our escape in frustration.