A Fiery Meeting

Hiccup's POV

No... No... No... Ah, there it is. I pick out a dusty book from my personal library and puff air over it. I walk down to my evening fire and place the book over my hand-made map of the archipelago, opening it to a random page.

"Alright... Alright, gimme a clue here. Gimme a clue dad." I say as I flip through the pages of the old book, attempting to find the desired page.

My attention drifts when I hear faint tapping on the roof, dust falling from the rafters like snow. This isn't an unusual occurrence when you live with dragons, but tonight it's especially alerting.

I lean down and close the book silently, folding up my map as well. I look scan around frantically as the steps seem to have gotten louder, then abruptly stop. It's only when I hear a liquid being poured that my head whips around to find the emitter of the sound. Crouching into an offensive stance, my eyes wander and land on a tall, slender, silver-haired figured draped in black. I slowly pull out Inferno and ignite it, the flame illuminating the figure further.

"Oh, I hope you don't mind if I help myself." The figure, whom I assume is Grimmel, says in a carefree manner. I bring the sword closer to Grimmel. "Mm, this is uh... quite good."

"That is impressive, but let me finish my drink." He states, not sparing me a second glance. I blink back at Toothless nervously. Grimmel takes notice of this subtle movement and spares no time shooting him with a dart.

"Toothless!" I raise my voice in alarm, rushing to his side. I hear a clinking sound behind me and I turn to face the intruder. "What did you do to him?"

"Ehhfm, nothing that he won't sleep off." He assures coolly, reloading his crossbow with the same purple darts I found in the woods earlier. "Aah, may I?"

He sits down in my fathers' chair, running his hands gently over the worn wood. The sight makes me want to hurl. "Chief Hiccup, hm?"

"Do I say chief Hic~cup! Or do I say- call you Hiccup, what do you prefer?" He mocks, gesturing at me as if he actually wants a response. "You have no idea who I am, do you?" He chuckles.

"Heh, well your father knew of me. Now, there was a chief! One of the greatest dragon hunters to have ever lived. What WOULD he think of you?" I inch closer and closer, the weapon never wavering from its attack-ready position.

"He had it right, you know? Making it his mission to destroy peace, so that you could grow up in a better world." Grimmel taunts, snickering and chuckling as if he were a comedian laughing at his own jokes. "He changed his mind," I say, determined, whilst pointing Inferno directly at him.

"And look where that got him." He says coldly with a brooding look on his face, leaning back into the chair. I feel the blood drain from my face after he says this. "So, let's get to the point."

"I am the Night Fury killer." Grimmel eyes widen, burning intensity in his stare. "I've hunted every last one except the two on this island."

"You are going to give me that dragon. Or I-" I interrupt him mid-sentence. "I will NEVER give them up!"

Grimmel merely laughs and swats Inferno to the side as he stands abruptly. I bring it back to center. "You wish dragons to be free, among us! Like equals?"

"A toxic notion my boy, history has shown that we are the superior species. What if word of your misguided ideas were to spread? It would be the undoing of civilization as... we... know it." His voices wavers off and my hair goes on end. I can feel the anger starting to rise in my chest, but I keep my composure. Just a little longer... "Hmmm..."

I glance to the side, and Grimmel kicks 'Toothless's' tail. "Did we get him?" Fishlegs asks shakily, wobbling up from the blanket. He falls to the floor, and I nab the crossbow off Grimmel using Inferno.

"Now!" I shout, keeping Grimmel at blade-point. Astrid, Kania, Gobber, and Mom all burst in from different areas of my hut, weapons at the ready. "Sorry to barge in!"

"You think you can come into my home? Sit in my fathers' chair? And threaten my dragon? This is Berk, and we have defended our way of life from FAR worse than you!" I proclaim bravely.

"Oooh! A fighting spirit, I love it only... I'm afraid you're mistaken. You've never seen anything like me!" His gaze has murderous intent behind them, and his voice was like ice. He turns and whistles to his left, in Kania's direction. Green liquid eats through the ceiling, a gaping hole that causes the surrounding ceiling to buckle under the weight of the dragon that comes crashing down. Kania barely dodges the dragon by jumping off the rafters. She lands hard on her legs but shakes back to her senses just in time to dodge an attack from the dragons tail. The scorpion-like appendage strikes a hole into the ground before releasing and whipping around to attack the rest of us. Another whistle sounds out and I see that Grimmel has retrieved his crossbow and is signalling for another dragon to come to attack us. Gobber grabs Fishlegs and lugs him over his shoulder, making for the door. Astrid and Kania follow in suit. I stay behind with Mom to fight off the mysterious dragons.

Mom blocks the hot green liquid as it's fired at us from all angles. "Have my dragon ready when I return, or I will destroy everything you love!" Grimmel threatens ominously as he disappears behind a flurry of embers and smoke.

Mom and I sprint out the front door to get to safety, but we are only greeted by the rest of the village up in flames.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all so much for being patient! I know it's been a while since the last chapter, but the posting schedule should go back to normal now. I will be posting a chapter every Friday, and if I miss and a day I will post two chapters the next day! Again, thank you!

(ಥ﹏ಥ)