Chapter 22: Strange Disease

"And the Ministry of Recovery told you nothing?"

"All they said to was run out to the old public health research center south of Abel, and wait around for your contact to show. Any sign of him?"

Kefilwe looks around, eyeing the chainlink fences and concrete building with a frown. "Runner Five and I have circled the center from the outside twice, but perhaps we might have missed him."

"Mmm, maybe. I don't even know with this guy," Sam sighs. "Janine's been spending the last two weeks trying to pin him down, and she still can't figure out where he's living. Even the New Canton Permanent Advisory Council don't know, and he's the Head of Security! I heard last time Janine caught him on cams, he like, threw himself out a window and vanished."

Kefilwe laughs. "Out a window? How extraordinary."

I shrug. "Meh."

She sends me an amused smile. "Not all of us go on daring adventures on the daily, Runner Five. Hearing such a story of jumping out a window is quite impressive to us common folk."

I open my mouth to reply, but the gate opens, stealing our attention.

"It was on the ground floor, which makes it less impressive," Steve says, striding out of the open gate to meet us. He sends us both a small smirk, and I hate the oddly charming vibe he gives off. "Open too, which I generally prefer."

"Wait," Sam says, "where did you-"

"Dr. Lobatse, Runner Five, good to see you. Better follow me."

"Oh, I know I have cameras on that gate."

Kefilwe raises a brow at Steve, her eyes scanning his attire. "This must be rather serious if you've come to meet us outside a medical research center in a hazmat suit."

"It's not a pretty scenario, love," He replies. "Contaminant got out. People trapped inside. Sealed inside, actually." He walks around behind the gate, grabbing two orange hazmat suits similar to the one he's wearing. "Here. Put these on."

Kefilwe grabs her suit and I grab mine. I put it on over my running gear. It feels awkward, especially the helmet type... thing. I'm not sure what it would be called, actually. But I've been in worse attire, I guess.

"Do you know what's been released?" Kefilwe asks.

"Better ask Veronica that."

"Veronica?" Sam repeats, and a second later the coms shack door opens.

"Uh, yeah."

I blink, knowing that is definitely not Veronica's voice. "Milo? What are you doing in here?"

"He's with me," Veronica says quickly. "Hi, Sam, Five, Dr. Lobatse. Thanks for handling this for me. I really appreciate it. Some lab assistants were working on an experiment for me in that facility, and now I need you to rescue them. Please, before it's too late."

My shoulders tense slightly. I don't like the sound of this, but I don't voice my words, even though I desperately want to. I remember when spying on Steve that he said the Ministry gave Veronica a team of researchers, but he didn't say what they were working on. I guess now we're gong to find out.

As we reach the front door, I almost feel relieved to find out it's locked. That means that whatever's in here hasn't got out. Kefilwe is able to open the door with a crowbar, and she does the same with the airlock door that stands behind it.

It opens with a loud hiss.

"Good," Steve murmurs. "Pressure seal's still intact, and a locked front door's a good sign. Nice work with that pry bar, Dr. Lobatse."