Chapter 40: Livin' On A Prayer

"Five... we're going to have to kill him."

"No!" I yell, tearing my gaze off of Sam for a split second to glare at her. I turn back to Sam, and then I slowly climb into the dumpster with him, reaching out for his hand.

"No, no!" He shouts, scooting backwards until his back hits the wall of the dumpster. "Get away from me!"

"It's okay. It's okay," I say softly, my eyes welling with tears. "I'm not going to hurt you. I'd never hurt you."

"I'm not worried about you hurting me. I'm worried about me hurting you. St-stay back!"

"You... you look okay. Guys, he looks okay. I mean, you're cold and wet and in a dumpster, but okay," I say desperately.

"I'm calling in some advice. Hang on," Maxine says, and I hear the coms door open and then shut.

I reach for Sam, but again he shrinks back away from me.

"I'm not okay, though, am I?" He asks. "It takes its time, doesn't it? I tried to-I managed to fight my way out of that building. Used an old chair. That weird Greenshoot zombie attacked me, but it fought the others that were trying to bite me. I managed to barricade one of the doors, and after a few hours, when they'd calmed down, I ran for the exit, because I didn't want to die there. Not there, not like that.

"When I realized it was going to take awhile, I thought I should throw myself off a building or something, but I couldn't make myself do it." His voice cracks, a sob leaving his mouth, and I feel my heart break. "So I locked myself in here, so I couldn't hurt anyone. Oh, you have to get away from me. I can't-it could happen any time!"

I reach forward and touch his forehead, despite Sam's protest. "You have no fever. You're not coughing. You're don't... you don't have the cough that you get when you're infected."

"He's not wrong, though," Amelia says. "We have to move. Zombies approaching from the south and the east. Oh, good. And the west too. Super. My friends-and I use 'friends' in the loosest possible sense-whatever further conversation we're going to have, we're going to have it while running away from the zombies, or I won't be a part of it."

Sam looks at me desperately. "Five, back me up. We know physical exertion and excitement makes people turn faster. It can't be long now before I go. Just let it be over now."

I laugh, but the sound rings hollow to my ears. "You must have lost your damn mind if you think I'm going to shoot you while you're still human."

"I've got a gun, Jody's got a gun, Five wouldn't use a gun on you anyway," Amelia says, grinning at me when I narrow my eyes at her. "You're a lightweight when it comes to good people. It's one of the things I like and also despise about you. Listen, those zombies are moving in. I'm leaving in thirty seconds whether you're with me or not. Sam, if it helps, I've always half wanted to put a bullet through you anyway."

"This is the first time I've ever been glad you're here, Amelia," He replies, glancing over at her before looking back at me and Jody, his face serious. "Listen, I will not put the people I love at risk. Mark me, both of you-first sign I'm turning, shoot me in the head."

"It'll be a pleasure," Amelia replies. "Now move!"

I scramble out of the dumpster, Sam quickly following. He makes sure to keep his distance from me. There's a certain fear in his eyes, and I can't help but wonder if this was how I looked to him, when I refused to be around him after escaping the mind control. I wonder if it pained him like it pains me now.

We head out onto the streets, running as fast as we can. My eyes stay trained on Sam. It's just... he's here, and still human. I don't know if I should be happy about this or sad, because he's sure he's going to turn soon.