Chapter 37: Runaway Baby

"Yes, it's okay. No, Runner Five is not dead. She's hurt, but movin'. Janine, are you reading this?" Jody asks.

"Loud and clear. I'm after Tom. Five's hot on my heels," She says. "Tom's fast, but there's nowhere for him to go. We're going to bring him down!"

"Okay. We're gettin' this attack under control. New Canton are reportin' that the bomb was more light and sound that actual damage. Three rec rooms were destroyed, and a horse." She clicks her tongue. "Poor horse. So, working from west to east across the field of battle... is that the right word for it?"

"It'll do. Go on."

"Sam, Owen's comin' for you, with guns. Paula, Bernard says New Canton is sending a plasmapheresis machine for you right now. You will get to hold your daughter. Janine, Five, I've finally made contract with the Ministry, and they're sending the Builder to help you take down Tom. Nicole said she's coming as well. Says you might want one of her sedatives if you're decidin' not to kill him. And Maxine, there's a paramedic-"

"I've locked the door of this van against the zoms," Maxine interrupts, "so if the next words out of your mouth aren't 'a paramedic coming to get your baby', I don't want to hear them."

"But the medic's sayin' that-"

"I'm fine. I'm delivering a placenta. This is normal. Women do it every day. Go get my daughter!"

I grunt in pain, my body aching and my mind begging for me to stop. The cold has helped slow the bleeding, but only a bit. The sides of my vision is still blurry, and I'm getting lightheaded, but I'm able to keep myself upright and running.

I have to. We have to stop Tom before he does something horrible to that baby. I hate to think about it, but Tom is insane, and whatever it is he's got going on in his head can't be good for that baby girl.

I hiss in pain at the feeling of my shirt rubbing against my burns. There's not much fabric left, since half of it was burned and ripped from the blast. It's barely a shirt at all anymore, but what's left of it isn't helping in soothing my injuries. My sports bra thankfully doesn't cover any of my injuries. It keeps me from a slight bit of pain.

The adrenaline coursing through my veins is the only thing that's keeping me going at this point. I don't know how much longer that will keep me going though. I'm bleeding too much. I'm guessing within a few minutes, the loss of blood and drop in blood pressure will cause me to pass out.

I'm running out of time, which means I have to make the most of what I can do while conscious.

Thankfully I've caught up to Janine. Her blue eyes flash in concern when she sees how bad I look, but within a blink of an eye, it's gone. I can't find the energy to speak, but she gives me a certain look, signaling she knows.

We're going to have to be quick in retrieving the baby. I'm bleeding, and blood attracts zombies. They're not close, but we shouldn't risk it. Seeing how our luck has been today, we have to play everything safe.

"Okay, uh, Runner Mum, you're gaining on Tom," Milo says. "He keeps looking over his shoulder at you. It's slowing him down."

My only reply is ragged breathing as I push myself ahead of Janine, my body screaming from the pain.

"No shooting," Maxine commands. "You might hit her. No fighting!"

"I'm right behind you, Runner Five," Janine pants. "I'll hold him down. You take her. When you have the baby secure, I'll finish him."

"The baby's dead though," I hear Tom murmur. "I heard on the radio. They said this baby's dead! Don't you know it's dead?"

There's a sound of gunshots from behind us, then thuds of the undead hitting the ground. I look over my shoulder for a quick second. Two people come sprinting up to us, keeping pace with Janine once they reach her. I almost sigh with relief when I see them.