Chapter 61: The Game Has Changed

The speakers squeal loudly, and I groan, knowing that the speeches are about to start up again. We've been having to listen to Ian for the past six hours while Janine's come up with a plan.

We have no time to waste. We've contacted New Canton. We're finding a way to get this information out. Sigrid started the apocalypse. People need to know.

We've only waiting this long because we need to go when we have less of a chance of being seen. It's almost sunset, so it will be much harder for them to see us when we leave. We have to take every advantage we can possibly get.

"People of Abel Township, there is no need to suffer," Ian says. "We know you're running low on supplies. Simply surrender your leaders to the Ministry, and you can go free."

"What do you think they've done to Ian to make him do that?" Sam asks.

"What do you think?" Nadia snaps.

"I don't want to think about it."

"He may have done it willingly," Janine says. "He may be as taken in by the Minister's lies as everyone else. But, of course, we can't rule out torture.

"We already know that the Minister was willing, for reasons of her own, to actively seek out the zombie virus-to isolate it from a Viking fetus and to break it down into its constituent elements so that it could not be traced back to her, giving one of them to Moonchild and the other to her husband as a tissue regeneration treatment. She deceived everyone, including her own husband, in order to bring this thing back into the world!"

"Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense," Nadia says. "It's not like she's got rich off it, or popular. And I mean, the world is basically a living hell right now. Why would anybody do this?"

"Perhaps we shall find out at her trial. Once the word is out about what the Minister did, everyone who is currently helping her will turn against her. That is why she wanted to replace you, Five, with a double who would keep the data and destroy the evidence of what she did. She knows the only way to keep control is to hide the truth."

"And she's blocking our long-range transmissions-"

"The only way is for a single messenger to go out on foot."

"That's you, Five," Sam says, swallowing thickly. "You're heading for a small military base to the southwest."

"General Bakari is well liked. He's well connected," Janine says. "And he's well armed. He set up a small but stable community. If you can get there before the Minister knows where you're going, he can have messengers heading all over the British Isles within an hour."

"And you're sure he'll help us?"

"He was my commanding officer," She answers confidently. "He always warned me against the Minister. This will come as no surprise to him."

"Alright. One runner is easier to hide than a convoy, but either way, we're going to keep you safe, Five."

"It's okay," I say. "I'm ready."

If I die today, it'll be worth it if it stops Sigrid. It will all be worth it.

I've got to keep Adora and Phineas safe. I've got to keep Milo and Penelope safe.

"Okay. We're going to get that message out," He says. "She started the entire zombie apocalypse. The world needs to know."

The gates open, but the alarm stays off.

"Go, now."

I run, pushing my tiring legs as fast as they'll carry me. I know I can't keep this pace up for long, but I need to make sure I get away from Abel quickly, so I won't be spotted and then shot at, because that's what will happen.