Chapter 31: The Living Daylights

"Covering fire, please, Mr. Yao."

"Okay, guys, covering fire!"

"Request gates raising."

"And raise the gates!" He lets out a small huff as the gates rates and the alarm goes off. "You know, Janine, you could just ask them to do it yourself."

"Protocol exists for a reason, Mr. Yao," Janine replies coolly. "Now, if you'd initiate the mission please."

He scoffs in annoyance. "Oh, for the love of-fine. Runner Five, Runner Six, are you ready to go?"

"Raring, Sam," Owen replies.

"Always am, hun." I grin.

"And Veronica, you're sure you're okay to be out in the field today?"

Veronica crosses her arms. "I can take care of myself, Sam."

I send her a raised brow, but say nothing.

"Miss McShell's presence has been specifically requested on this mission," Janine states.

"Then you can trot outside, guys, and mosey on down the hill."

"Please never say the word mosey again," I say as we leave the gates of Abel. "At least, don't say it like you just did."

"What? Do you want me to say it like an Arkansan?" He teases.

"Arkansans don't say mosey. Texans do. I'm not a Texan. I don't say mosey, howdy or yee-ha. I say ain't and ya'll and I'll occasionally say darn tootin', just never in public."

He snickers. "If I ever heard you say darn tootin' in an actual conversation, I'd die a happy man."

I smile, glad that the tension between us has subsided. It usually does if you apologize the day of the argument, and it's been a few days... although that kind of argument... I know there's still some hurt that lingers.

On both sides.

"Mr. Yao, Runner Five, there is appropriate language for mission guidance. It's all in Briefing Document 156, which I'm sure at least the operator has read cover to cover."

"Briefing Document 156?" Sam scoffs, and I can picture him shaking his head. "Yeah, we all know you're doing this because the Minister's in on the run."

"Yes, and because I enjoy protocol."

"You never got onto me and Five for having causal conversation before."

"I've gotten onto you and Runner Five for having casual conversation on multiple occasions. And Runner Five, I am going to politely ask you to refrain from calling Mr. Yao 'hun' on missions."

"Sorry. Next time I'll call him darling," I say casually, causing Owen to snort beside me.

"Runner Five," She says warningly.

"What? You don't like that either? What about sweetheart? Babe? Should I be more British and call him love?"

"You should refrain from any pet names, Runner Five."

I roll my eyes. "I'm joking, Janine. I call everyone 'hun', just like I call anyone younger than me 'kid', even though I am just now getting into adulthood. And I wouldn't call Sam by any of those pet names even if I wanted to piss you off, which I don't because you kinda scare me."

"Why wouldn't you call him any of those things?" Owen asks.

"Because I have respect for him as my friend and I don't want to make him uncomfortable."

"Meh," Sam says nonchalantly. "I've been called worse. And stop giving me that look, Janine. I would appropriately brief my runners in where they're going today, except I don't actually have a clue. So if you would be so kind as to fill them in."