08|Mental Illness

This is a HUGE topic.
It's important and trending in this generation.

I understand that this is a sensitive topic and this is why I've decided to make it sound as non-judgmental as possible. If you're reading this and you feel offended, it really isn't my intention because I intend to provide encouragement. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me by messaging me and as always, I accept contributions.

So, I'm pretty sure you've heard about the words suicide, self harm, and so many more that I can't recall.
I believe that the terms I have mentioned above are as a result of depression which is mainly when a person lets depression take over.

As usual, I would start by defining the word depression. Depression is a mental health disorder characterized by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life (All credits to google)

Like I said earlier, a person has to let depression take over before suicide, self harm and so on take place. A person can't really wake up and decide to take his/her life just because he/she feels like. That's very strange and if you feel like that you also need to seek medical assistance quickly. Depression is simply a manifestation of a troubled mind.

So what really goes on this troubled mind? That's the question that no one but the affected can understand. Even doctors are trying to understand and find the answer to the question but there hasn't been much luck doing that. Different depressed people will always have different or slightly different reasons.

Depression in medical terms can be described as a form of mental illness. This kind of mental illness occurs in the mind or brain of a person and so it's not as easy to diagnose like a normal illness like maybe a viral infection. It really can't be tested but however, there are different ways of identifying such people.

So I know there's a cliché that depressed people are loners who are always secluded, wear black and always look sad or teary eyed but that's not exactly always accurate. Some depressed people sometimes look like the happiest people in the world and you might just never guess. Different depressed people have different ways of managing the situation and so it really depends on the person. Some go as far as abusing drugs, have personality swings, etc.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give a list of how to identify a depressed person because I really can't say since there are too many ways.
I don't know if you're suffering from this mental illness or know a person who is, but what I know is, in order for us to fully understand this problem, we have to know the reason. I think it's gonna help generalize the issue as well as explaining it better.

Before I go on, I would like to say that not all depressed people are the same once again because some people are on the mild side (if I'm allowed to say that) while some others are on the mentally deranged side. No jokes. So if you're trying to help a person with it, keep this in mind.

I am in no medical field but I believe that depression is caused by one thing which is sadness usually caused by loss. If you think about it, depression actually is an advancement of sadness. It happens when a person loses something or someone important or when a person is abused. I'm pretty sure you get that.

If you know someone who is depressed and you're pretty young, you should tell a trusted adult about the situation and in the meantime, treat that person like you would treat every other person. A lot of people have this view that depressed are so fragile so you need to be very careful what you say and do to them.
Yes and no.
It's true because you don't wanna make their feelings worse. On the other hand, over considering their emotions makes them feel like you're pitying them or treating them like a charity case which depressed people HATE! I can tell you this from experience.

Treat them nicely but at the same time make them feel normal even though their condition isn't. Chat with them instead of always listening to what they say because if you're emotional you could feel worse. I didn't say talk, I said chat so be interactive.

Find out what they like and do it with them. Introduce them to what you like to do as well. It could be visiting a museum or maybe skiing.
Whatever it is, do it to make them feel happy on the inside. It might (most likely) lighten their day up and make them feel better.

Another thing you can do is make them laugh. After all, laughter is the best medicine.

If you are depressed, try to be around the right people.
When you're around the right people, like supportive friends, family, club members who you like being around, there's a lower chance that you'll have time to be sad.
Find a club. Try volunteering. Learn something new like baking or painting. Read a motivational book like this one (Haha but yeah) Go crazy but not too crazy. Try to let go of sadness one day at a time and believe in yourself.

Depression is a serious medical condition that changes the chemicals in one's brain and affects their mood, thoughts and emotions. Finding a solution is not gonna be easy, but you have try till you find out what works out best.

In the meantime, give it time, reach out for help (call helplines, seek counseling if you can and talk to someone about it because someone will always care about you no matter what), avoid things that trigger suicidal thoughts and take care care of your health. Always remember that you aren't alone. As long as there are living people on earth, you never are.

For additional help, because I know I'm no expert, you could also search the internet for sites that can help.
I will also be willing to listen to anyone who is facing this challenge and I assure you of your confidentiality.