11|So much to do, such little time

So... I know we have New Years on the 1st of January every year, but I like to think as a teen that every student has at least 2 New Years.

Currently, it's the summer or the end of the session depending on wherever you live in the world so I believe that everyone has plans for the next session. If you don't, you might need to start thinking of something but...don't rush it.

These are your goals. Everyone has them because as humans we always wanna be better than what we are no matter where are you are in life. So breaking it down, the 1st New Year is the one in January and the 2nd is the beginning of a new session.

If you think it about, they're kinda similar since our goals for the session are like our resolutions for the year. Makes sense?

Planning goals for a new session is hard work and requires a lot of thinking. I'm saying this because most times in general, people plan goals the wrong way. Instead of taking time to make reasonable goals, (specifically long term goals) we rush it and set some pretty far-fetched and unrealistic goals.

Setting goals requires attention and the great part is you can even do it in the shower! However you do it, just make sure your goals are SMART.

What are SMART goals?
At a glance you can say they're goals which make sense like a smart idea.
A SMART goal is a goal that is:

S-Specific
M-Measurable
A-Attainable
R-Relevant
T-Timely

A smart goal is...SMART.

S is for Specific
The first step to making ANY goal is defining it very CLEARLY.
What exactly do wanna achieve?
Why are you doing it?
When am I gonna do it?
Who is involved?

So we have 2 examples of these kind of goals:
The Not Specific: I want to pass my Exams.
The Specific:I want to get an A in all my exams so I can graduate with distinctions.

The first one is just a plain wish. What exactly are you aiming for? Remember, this is a goal, so think of it like a ball game. You have to aim for something, but where exactly is the right place to aim? The second one is very specific because you're being very clear on what exactly you want.

M is for Measurable
The next question is can you track your goals? Can you tell when you're achieving a part of that goal?

The 2 examples are:
The Not Measurable: I want to do better at English tests.
The Measurable:I want to reduce the number errors I make at my English tests. 

When you set realistic goals you can always track them and know when you're making process because achieving long term goals is a step-by-step process and doesn't happen at once.

A is for Attainable
Can you attain this goal if you work towards it and put in effort?

The 2 examples are:
The Not Attainable: I want to be an excellent chef by the end of the week.
The Attainable: I want to practice cooking by perfecting a new dish every week so I can be a better chef at the end of the year.

The first one is pretty far-fetched because cooking requires lots of practice and so it's not going to be easy to be excellent at it within 7 days. Always make sure your goals can be achievable within a reasonable period of time.

R is for Relevant
Does it relate with the area you want to improve?

The 2 examples are:
The Not Relevant: I want to leave the house earlier.
The Relevant: I want to use less time in the shower so I get to school earlier.

T is for Timely
Can you achieve this goal within a given time frame?
Is there a date of completion?

The 2 examples are:
The Not Timely: I want to finish reading this book.
The Timely: I want to finish reading this book before the new session begins.

The first means just finishing without considering when.

This few steps are tips on how to make good long term goals. Now remember, sometimes you may not be able to achieve all of the goals you've set or even any but it shouldn't stop you from trying again.