20|Self-care ~2~ Exercise

Like Bret Contreras the sport scientist said, "If you think lifting is dangerous, try being weak. Being weak is dangerous."

I think that's a clear quote that helps summarize this whole chapter.

Exercising or working towards being fit is such a good thing for every individual. You don't have to spend an hour in the gym or running long miles to exercise. It could just be a good body stretch or something little you do everyday to work out. Don't get me wrong, getting heavy equipment to exercise isn't a bad thing either. I'm emphasing on doing what is within your means. If you're living alone in a small apartment, you might not have the money or space to get such equipment or even sign up for gym classes. You might only get to run a few meters or do a stretch. And sometimes even when we have the space, time may not be on our side.

Exercising is a lifestyle, meaning it's a way of life. It's something valuable to add to our everyday routines because it comes with so much benefits.

#1 Helps weight control: Dieting alongside exercise is a fast way to reduce and most importantly control weight gain.

#2 Strengthens your bones and muscles: Regular exercise helps kids and teens as well as much older people. Doing muscle-strengthening activities can help you increase or maintain your muscle mass and strength (I mean, we all want to be the tough guy right?)

#3 Reduces the risk of some cancers, including colon, breast, uterine and lung cancer.

#4 Increase your chances of living longer: Studies have shown that physical activity can reduce your risk of dying early from the leading causes of death, like heart disease and some cancers.

Etc.
Overall, exercise is gooooood for you.

*Source: medlineplus.gov*

Just like diets, there are various forms of exercise. Take a look at the picture below.

 Take a look at the picture below

*Scott Free Clinic Blog*

Basically, there are 4 main types of exercise.

#1 Cardiovascular/Areobic : 
-Helps to build and maintain cardio (heart related) endurance.
-Like walking, jogging, running, swimming, biking, dancing, playing sports, etc.
-Reduces heart risks, strengths heart(to pulp blood more efficiently), boosts mood, longer life, etc.

#2 Flexibility:
-Activities that lengthen and stretch muscles.
-Like yoga, tennis, golf, etc.
-Helps prevent injuries, back pain, and balance problems.

#3 Strength:
-Most people (especially gym-goers) assume this aspect is all about body building. Wrong!
It means a TOTAL enhancement of your muscle strength and not just your biceps or "abs".
-Increases energy, improves the strength of your bones, protects you from preventable injuries thus reducing risk, etc.

#4 Balance:
-Exercises that improve stability and help prevent falls.
-Like yoga, use of a stability ball, etc.
-Strengthens your legs and your core, improves your balance skills, etc.

Exercising might hurt a bit at first but after a while of regular exercise, your body gradually gets used to the system and goes with the flow.

Make exercising fun and not a chore. You can get a fitness tracker, do it with your family or friends, use music, keep track of progress (it's nice to see our improvements), etc

No matter how busy you may be, take time out to work on your body because in the end, believe me, you will love the result especially on the long run when you're much older and find out you can still do some things younger people can do without feeling much pain or needing assistance to get back on your feet.