Chapter 30

LAST CHAPTER

I got chills
They're multiplying
And I'm losing control
Cause the power you're supplying
It's electrifying!

~~

Frank and I were alone on the shore of the island. We sat together in the sand, drawing little pictures. All of Frank's were amazing, as per usual.

"My mom is making lasagna for dinner," he said.

"How are you so talented?" I asked.

Frank shrugged. "Never had friends so I had a lot of time to practice."

I gave him a soft kiss and he smiled. We were just about to go back when we saw a boat coming up to the island. But it wasn't one of our boats. When it got closer, we could clearly see that is was part of the Royal Navy, England's naval patrol ship.

"That doesn't look good," I said.

Frank flew us over the wall and we found Bert getting supplies for dinner from the community kitchen, his daughter teleporting in circles around him.

"Bert, we saw one of the British naval ships sailing nearby," I said.

Bert turned and dropped a bag of flour.

"Okay, we're going to go into code red mode," he said. "Frank, spread the news. Find someone to help you. You have to hide with the children because you, like them, can't control your powers."

Frank nodded and left.

"What about me?" I asked.

"You stay with me and just follow my lead, act normal," Bert said. "Cleo, go find mommy and Minnie."

Cleo nodded and disappeared into thin air. Man, that still freaked me out.

We got everything sorted out and people who could control their powers were brought forward. Linda stayed in hiding with Frank.

The boat pulled up to our dock and two men in uniforms stepped off onto the creaky pale wood. They looked around at everyone, who seemed calm but still nervous.

"What can I do for you today?" Bert asked.

"You do know that this land belongs under British territory, correct?" One of the men asked. "And therefore all communities must be registered under law."

"We weren't aware," Bert said.

"Do you mind if we look around?" The other man asked.

"Feel free," he said.

They walked in passed the gate, looking around.

"This place is a refuge," Bert explained. "For those who were trying to escape abusive relationships and families."

I followed them around as everyone else tried to act normal, watering flowers and tending the garden.

"It seems abnormally warm," one of them men said.

I glanced at Ryan, who held out his hand. I could feel it oh so subtly getting cooler.

"Guess we just live in a warm spot," Bert said.

"You have squash in this garden," he said. "This kind of squash isn't indigenous to this region and growing it here is very unlikely."

Bert looked at the squash, not seeming to know the right answer.

"How are you growing this squash?" he asked.

"Good fertilizer?" Bert guessed. "I'm not the one who tends the garden."