Thirteen

The four boys looked at each other and then at Alese. Nothing they were going to say was going to do anything, she was going to stay and that was her decision. Hyunjin and Jisung said goodbye to Chan and Jeongin and headed home, just as they did, but for different paths. Chan was determined to get home and do a small investigation on his own initiative while Jeongin just wanted to get home and sleep, forget everything that happened during the day and have peace for a few hours. 

The next morning, Alese woke up with a nurse to call for her. It was time for her to say goodbye to Draco and hope for the best. The blonde got up and looked for the nurses to take Draco, as soon as they left,  Alese sits in the chair in the room and takes a deep breath. The twenty-four-year-old wizard was now lying in the operating room, under an intense light aimed at his face. Draco had an accumulation of blood in the pleural space, on his chest radiographs, a pleural line could be seen parallel to the chest wall since there was the separation of the visceral and parietal pleura by the accumulated air. Hemothorax was not visible on the first radiograph, especially when Draco had multiple displaced rib fractures. The doctor looks at the young man's body and then decides to start the next few moments that would be a major headache and try to make everything go right. Twenty minutes later, doctors administered intravenous fluids to increase the amount of fluid in the bloodstream and, that way, raise the blood pressure. The doctor tried to insert a thoracic tube into the chest to remove the blood and allow the lung to re-inflate, which will remain in place for several days. Almost forty minutes had passed and the operation was over. The doctor orders that they take Draco back to his room. Alese still sat in the same place, dying of concern. A nurse comes in to straighten things out for the young wizard and Alese gets up quickly. 

"Is he okay?" Alese asks the nurse, impatient.

"The operation went well, let's see how he reacts in the next days." 

The first sentence was all that the blonde had to hear, she lets herself fall into the chair and sighed with relief by putting her hands to her head. She thanks the nurse for the information, but that was more than simple information. That gave her hope, made her smile again, loosen the pain that tightens her heart, feel happy again. She asked when she could see him again and the nurse, seeing the red and swollen eyes of the poor blonde woman, let her see him at that moment, but asked her to keep it quiet, so he could sleep and rest well. 

As Chan arrived at home, he went to his desk and started to connect the missing points. The day after Ella met Tom, her house was invaded and only a photo of their group back in Hogwarts was robbed. Then, some days ago, some bombs were planted in the Auror Office, a place where Ella doesn't work, because she's from another department, and it wouldn't hurt her. The three Aurors that were in the photo of the group was him, Draco and Felix. Alese was there too because back then, there wasn't a major mysterious case to work on, so she would hang out with her husband and friends, but in that specific day, Alese was at the Department of Mysteries. Draco, Chan, and Felix were all hurt on that attack. Chan broke his arm, while Draco and Felix went to the hospital. At this point, Chan believes that the three Aurors were the main targets. After some time, this attack at the pub happened, killing many innocent people. Draco's condition was life-threatening. He tried to protect Alese and almost got hurt. This confirms Draco as one of the main targets. The group of attackers was covered in black ripped cloaks, with the dark mist coming out of their hoods, covering their faces. The dark cloaks were similar to the ones used by the Death Eaters in the Battle of Hogwarts, seven years ago. Could Tom be associated with the Death Eaters? And if so, what is his influence on the group? That could justify Draco being one of the main targets since he betrayed them, and Felix since he didn't follow his dad's legacy. 

It was almost nine o'clock in the morning when Chan finally stopped working on the investigation. The Auror, lets his body fall back on the chair, looking up and sighing the fatigue out of his body and soul. He stands up and looks through the window, seeing that he turned the night without sleeping. Despite almost falling asleep while standing, he picks up his jacket, puts his notebook full of appointments and other stuff on his case and heads out to the streets, going to Felix and Changbin's home. Arriving there, he knocked on the door, being answered by Felix, who had just woke up. His hair was looking like a birds nest, and the man couldn't even fully open his eyes.

"Chan... What are you doing here, so soon in the morning?"

"I need your help." Chan says, entering Felix's home and starting to take everything out of his case to Felix's kitchen table, "I think I got a lead on Tom."

"Not this again..." Felix sighs and rolls his eyes, not agreeing with this pursuit of Chan on Ella's new boyfriend.

"I'm serious, just look at all of this." Chan finishes putting everything on the table and puts his case to the side, "I'll prepare some coffee for us, while you analyze everything."

Felix ends up sitting down and reading all of the notes and the map of clues that would lead to Tom being a member of the Death Eaters, seeking revenge on Draco and Felix. Felix wouldn't normally go on with this if he wasn't one of the main targets. The boy gets caught off guard and gets uncertain about his thoughts and feelings towards Tom, now he's suspicious too. Chan arrives with two cups of coffee, putting one near Felix and drinking from the other cup.

"So, you're in?" Chan gets right back to the main subject that lead him there so soon.

"You've some points here, but also has flaws." Felix points out, getting a pen from Chan's case.

"What flaws? Your head being put on price isn't already a good enough clue for you?" Chan's obsession gets the best of him, acting surprised and a bit mad that Felix isn't supporting him.

"Mate, you're right, we are the main target. The thing is, that doesn't prove it is Tom when you say the attack was on the Aurors Office so that way it wouldn't hurt Ella makes zero sense. She and Alese are always there, so if she stayed one more minute she would get hurt too and she was at the pub with us." Felix starts to scratch some of the clues, making them unusable for any charges. 

"Goddamnit!" Chan punches the table, maybe because of the frustration of his useless effort that made him stay awake the whole night, or just because he feels that something's wrong with Tom but he's just slipping away from Chan's investigation, "We gotta investigate more, watch him, his movements, his contacts, we'll find something for sure."

"Don't you think that's just a little too much? He is Ella's boyfriend, she will be mad at us if she finds we trying to prove her boyfriend is an evil master." Felix tries to call off the investigation, afraid that Ella would discover it.

"This is for her sake too. If we can prove who Tom really is, she will support us. Now, can I count you?" Chan explains and asks one more time, almost with an ultimatum tone.

Felix wants to refuse it and stay out of trouble, but Chan's so committed about this, and the fact that his head could be at prize scares him. The blonde man sighs and passes his hand through his face, trying to get rid of the sleepiness and fatigue of that situation, "Fine."