Scene 13

“Mom? I’m home!” I dropped my bags at the door and went to look for her.

I walked into the kitchen hoping she would be there but instead was left to find a note taped to the fridge.  It read:

Hey Lo! Glad you’re back.

 I’m sorry but I have to work late tonight.

There is some pasta in the fridge on the bottom shelf.

Feel free to help yourself to it.

XoXo,

Mom

Great! Just like her to not be home when I need her.  I grabbed the pasta out of the fridge and sat on the couch. Maybe the T.V. will entertain me. I grabbed the remote, picked it up and switched it to E news.

I took one look at the screen and my pasta went flying out of my mouth.

“Oh shit!”

“Niall Horan and Harry Styles are said to have new girls. They were seen earlier today kissing a couple teenage girls at the airport. The two girls go by the names Lola and

Kait. Both currently live in New York and attend their senior year of High school at Freeman School of Art and Design.”

I called up Kait immediately.

“Turn on channel 59, stat!”

“Ok, ok! Nice to hear from you too.”

“Just do it!”

“Oh shit!”

“Told you!”

“How the hell is this already on T.V.?”

“They know where we live!”

“I guess they do… What now?”

“I don’t know.”

I heard the front door shut. I turned around to see my drunk mom standing at the door.

“I-I gotta go Kait. Talk to you tomorrow, ok?”

“Alright, night Lo.”

Click

And there she was, standing at the door, the smell of liquor on her breath.

“Really mom? Working late at the office? Why to lie to me!”

“Lola, it’s not like that.”

“Ok, whatever you say mom! You’re drunk off your ass!”

“Am not!”

“Mom, you can’t even manage to stand up! Your hair is a mess, and you smell like cigarettes and beer! I call that drunk!”

“Lola! Shut up! You have no clue what the hell I have to go through! Ever since your selfish dad shot himself I have been trying to do a good job raising you! Do you have any idea how hard it is to raise you, Josh, and Lindsey on my own!?”

“You don’t! Why else do you think Lindsey lives on the other side of the country and Josh is never home?! I’m so glad grandma and grandpa paid for me to go see Lindsey. I needed a break from all your crap!”

“Go to your room! You’re grounded! To your room now!”

“Gladly! I’m so excited to be home!”

I slammed my door shut and cried myself to sleep.