Scenes 25-28

~

It was really cold on the streets of New York this time of year. All the happy little families passed by me as I walked home alone in the cold weather. I stopped by the coffee shop and grabbed a latte. I buried my face in a gossip magazine and cried in the corner of the café.

I pressed speed dial 2

I cried into the phone.

“Lola? What’s wrong?”

“Kait, can I come over? I need to talk to you.” I barely choked out the words.

“Sure babe. What’s wrong?” I ignored her question.

“I’ll be over in a few minutes.”

Click.

I grabbed my coffee and ran the five minutes to Kaits house.

“Bang down my door why don’t you?”

“Kait, I can’t take this anymore.” I shed a tear from my eye.

~

“Lola, I can’t help you if you don’t talk to me.” I looked up at her for the first time since I had gotten there an hour ago.

“He asked about my dad and I blew up on him. I didn’t mean to but it just happened. He probably thinks I’m bat shit crazy, which isn’t entirely a lie. I just feel like whenever something gets really good, it’s pulled out from underneath me.” I started to tear up again.

“You’re not crazy, you’re just scared. And I know you don’t want to think that you are but its okay to be scared. All of this is new to you and me…”

I started sobbing a little more.

“I’m sure if you told Niall, he’d completely understand.”

“But I don’t want to tell him!” I sighed. “I just don’t, I want to be understood but I am afraid.”

“Afraid of what?”

To be honest, I wasn’t entirely sure myself.

“I’m afraid that all of this will be ripped away from me. I’m scared that I’ll open up to him and then later on I’ll be left with nothing.”

I stayed there all day talking to her and watching reality T.V. Not the good kind either, the stupid trashy kind. Except we did watch fashion police, that was my favorite.

I fell asleep on her couch and dreamt I was in my dad’s lap.

“I want him … but Dad, I’m scared.”

“It’s ok to be scared princess. I know he is probably scared as well.”

“I love you dad.”

“I love you too princess.”

~

I woke up to the sound of Kait’s stupid, noisy, cheap hair dryer.

“What are you doing?” I asked sleepy eyed.

“I have a date with Harry tonight. You are more than welcome to stay the night, I won’t be long.”

The door bell rang and she left me in her room to go get it.

~