Scenes 14-17

~

I stopped at the nearest Starbucks and grabbed Carmel Macchiato’s for Kait and I. I walked up the street and stopped in front of her door. I attempted knocking while holding to piping hot coffees in my hand.

“Coming!” I heard from behind the door.

I handed Kait the coffee. “Oh God bless you!” She took the coffee and we started walking to school.

“Hi ladies, how are we today?” somebody asked us as we rounded a block.

I glanced at Kait with a panic struck face.

“Hi, we don’t have time today.” She responded sharply.

“But we want to know, how is it to steal the boys away from their fans?”

“Excuse me?” I shrieked; my eyes were wide and wild looking. We walked a little faster; I saw our school in the distance.

“We haven’t done any of that, thank you but we really have to go somewhere.” Kait tried to get the guy to stop talking and leave us alone. He snapped a few pictures of us.

“Are you girls still in high school? So the boys like the younger ones.” He ran up beside us.

“I’m really trying to be polite but if you don’t stop following us I will have to call the cops.” Kait turned and got up in his face.

All the photographers kept snapping pictures and tried to egg us on. I’m guessing they finally got to Kait because she threw her steaming coffee right in the one guys face. I wanted to look somewhat tough too so I threw mine on the ground right in front of his feet. We bolted through the doors of Freeman High. Thankfully we were a little late so no one saw our little performance outside.

“Kait, are you insane?!”

We made our way down the main hallway to our locker we shared.

“He deserved it. I was going to cuss him out but I figured that wasn’t very lady like.”

“And you think throwing your drink at him was?” She slammed her books down in the locker and grabbed her photography notebook.

“As I recall, you threw your drink too.”

“I threw it at the ground, not at him. You probably gave him third degree burns.”

“Oh it wasn’t that hot, do you need anything out of here?”

“I’ll get it.”

She left for her photography class and I grabbed my sketchbook for my art class.

~

“Mrs. Crawford, nice of you to join us, you’re late. Please, take a seat.”

“Sorry Mr. Bryant, it won’t happen again.” I sat down at my desk in the back of the class. Everyone was looking at me. Did I have something on my face? Lip gloss on my teeth? I casually wiped my teeth.

“Psst, Lola.” My partner Casey poked me.

“What Casey?”

“Is he a good kisser?”

“Ok, what the hell is going on here?”

“Aren’t you dating Niall Horan?”

“Is that any of your business?” I snarled at her.

“Girls, would you like to share what you’re talking about with the rest of the class?”

“Not really Mr. Bryant.”

“Then I suggest you two hush.”

Mr. Bryant was a great teacher but he was also incredibly harsh and annoying. I really valued his teaching skills, his opinion, not so much.

“Now please take out your sketch books and begin drawing something that reminds you of home. “

Needless to say I drew a beer bottle. I don’t think Mr. Bryant liked it very much because he sent me to the dean. Great! I see the next big headline now! “ NIALL’S SWEETIE GET’S SENT TO THE DEAN! SHE’S A BAD KITTY.” Just great! This is exactly what I needed!

~

“Niall told me what happened.” I looked at Kait While we walked down 5th street on our way home. 

“Lola I don’t want to talk about it

“Fine, but just understand that he is torn up about it.” I looked at her.

“I told you I don’t want to talk about it. I’m sick of everyone getting in my business and you know I can’t handle all of this hyped up press shit.” I thought I was going to start bawling.

“That wasn’t directed towards you.” She tried to quickly fix the damage.

“I’m just trying to help you.”

“I need to go.” She left me to walk home on my own.

I pressed speed dial one on my phone.

“Niall?”

“Hey babe, are you ok?”

“She snapped at me and left me to walk home alone.”

“I’m sorry Lola, I just hate seeing Harry so upset.”

“ I feel the same way about Kait. We have to fix this.”

“How do you suggest we do that?”

“I’m not sure. I’ll text you when I figure it out. Bye babe.”

“Bye princess”  I could feel the warmth coming from my blushing cheeks.

Click.

~

I met up with Kait at a coffee shop about a block away from my house.

"Do you have any plans for Halloween?" I said sipping my coffee. She shook her head.

 "I hadn't really thought about it. Why?"

"Well you know that club down on 54th street? They're having a Halloween party."

"Don't you have to be 18?"

I was way too excited about telling her the news.

"Yes but my uncle is a bouncer there and he's working that night. And he said that we can go as long as behave."

“You sure?”

“Yes, oh please Kait!”

She laughed at me practically begging on my knees.

"As long as I can wear my Wendy costume."

I gave her the look.

"Kait, that is a night gown! At least sex it up." I nudged her.

"Have you never seen Peter Pan? Wendy is a very innocent girl, not some sex kitten."

Some people turned their heads and I hid behind my coffee mug.

"Just please get a new dress for it. To show some more leg, that granny dress hits your ankles!" We both started chuckling.

"Fine, but I'm compromising at the knee." She shot back.

“Well come on then, lets go find the sexy Wendy.”