Twenty-Eight

Hey guys, so after a long hiatus I am back with an epic chapter and feeling inspired. I can honestly say this fic will be completed very soon.
For now, enjoy this chapter.
If you like it, don't forget to vote, comment and share.

-JenniferTjandrajana

Runa was growing impatient.

Her two companions should have been back by now. And it felt like hours ago since she last seen them. Worried something must have happened to them, Runa figured she should start to look for them. 

She glanced at her dragon, Echo, who was curled up beside the toasty fire enjoying her slumber. Nothing else mattered except getting a decent amount of beauty sleep. Perhaps she wouldn't mind her rider being gone for a while.

"Where are they?" Runa groaned, standing up. "It shouldn't be that hard to gather wood. I swear they have a good explanation for taking this long."

Grumbling to herself, Runa followed the river stream. She examined the footprints, her brows furrowing.

There were more than two, and Runa suddenly she wasn't the only one around here. If there was somebody out there, there was a chance Ingrid and Gunner encountered them. Unsure who might be out there, Runa drew out her bow and arrow, prepared to face any strangers in the dark.

Cautious, Runa glanced around the dark, isolated woods, expecting something or someone to leap from the darkness. She froze when she heard rustling nearby.

Raising her bow and arrow, Runa backed away. Her heart was racing now that it felt like it would rip through her chest any moment. Facing intruders wasn't something she was afraid of.

As a child, her mother forced her to train long and hard to fight to be a warrior and bring honour to her tribe. That was why she never showed fear to the enemy or fell at her enemies' feet. She always stood her ground, appearing as brave and heroic as she could. Yet, she wasn't sure why she was trembling right now.

Was it the thought of being mauled to death by a wild animal? Or the intruder was too relentless and powerful to fight against? Or was Runa afraid of tasting defeat and becoming a failure to her family?

Her fingers trembled as she pulled her arrow back, ready to fire whoever was out there.

"Come out, you coward!" Runa announced, raising her arrow. "You can't hide in there forever. I'm not afraid of you! If you want a fight, well, I'll give you one."

As the rustling grew louder, Runa backed away while her eyes remained fixed on the shrub.

Suddenly three burly men dressed in dragon skin - Zippleback skin- leapt out of the shrubs, shouting war cries, and raising axes. Three more men emerged from behind raising weapons, letting out fierce battle cries.

Cornered, Runa knew she was outnumbered. But she held her ground and fired at her attackers, who were knocked unconscious. That's when Runa realised who they were; Horas' henchmen.

Her eyes widened in alarmed as a sudden weariness took over her. If his henchmen were here, maybe they found Ingrid and Gunner, and captured them. There was something hidden in the shrubs.

Curious, Runa moved closer to find a sword and a rusty horned helmet left behind.

Picking up the items, Runa examined them closely, wondering whose they were. Her eyes widened, suddenly realising the owner of these items; Ingrid and Gunner.

Glancing around frantically, Runa knew she was right; Horas had captured her companions. And she had been so foolish to not be aware they were in grave danger.