2 - Patricia

I felt my heart pounding, as I took a seat on the sofa in the great room

I felt my heart pounding, as I took a seat on the sofa in the great room. A great room was a fancy term for a family room opened up from the kitchen. Together those two rooms had been the heart of the home when Brenda was alive.

Brenda and her best friend, Debra Currier, died in a helicopter crash while vacationing in Hawaii. I felt myself tearing up and took a deep breath.

Ray noticed. "Are you all right?"

I nodded. "I was just remembering." My voice trailed off. He understood and looked as sad as I felt.

"Yes, you, Paige and I, we all miss her every day, don't we?" I nodded. "I've decided to travel this summer. I plan to be back before my grandchild is born."

What does that mean for me?

"I just discussed it with Jim and he plans to stay put for the summer at the beach. Anyway, if you are agreeable, he would like to hire you. Your duties would be the same as they are with me, housekeeping and cooking."

It shocked me. "I thought you were going to tell me you were selling the house. I thought..."

"Oh no! I'd never let you go. I barely survived without you the summer you were with Paige. My dear wife would never forgive me. You are family."

"I'm just not as busy as I'm used to." I confessed.

"I'll learn to be a slob then. I like this house and all its memories." I breathed a sigh of relief. "So are you willing to spend another summer on The Point?"

Two summers ago, they had sent me to watch Paige and Dan Currier, as their fathers forced them to live together. The goal was for them to fall in love. It was turbulent but love prevailed. However, Mr. Currier was not his son. I hardly knew him, but I knew he was a type A businessman while Ray was a laid back absent-minded scientist. For best friends and business partners, they were the odd couple.

"Did Mr. Currier really agree?"

"Agree! The Curriers have wanted to steal you for years. I made him sign in blood you'll come home when I do. You can manage this house, as necessary again like the other summer."

"I'll just need to chase the dust a bit."

"So?"

"I suppose I'm spending another summer at the beach. When do you leave?"

"The day after tomorrow. I'll be driving to Quebec to explore my roots. I've invited Paige and Dan for a goodbye dinner tomorrow night."

"Well then, I best get started on the menu." I smiled, because it gave me a purpose.

I stood and walked to the kitchen. If I was honest, I wasn't entirely certain about working for Jim Currier.

If you like please vote ⭐️