5 - Callie

I woke early from the pain, but also because it would take more time than usual to do my makeup.

He watched me. "You really are clumsy. You should stop walking into doors."

I nodded but knew Delaney didn't believe any of the door stories. Our boss Alice didn't either. I almost suggested calling in sick, but I could not fool my boss.

The minute Delaney saw me, she ran to Alice's office. Alice called me in. I stood quietly, as I studied my shoes.

"This has to stop!"

"Are you firing me?"

"No, but it's time for you to go away."

I looked at her pleading. I was ready to say things had changed already. After his anger, he had been loving and tender. Before I could speak he called.

"Tell him I have you on a deadline."

"Hi honey." I answered in a calm voice.

"Is everything okay after your door incident?"

"Fine. I'm just busy. I'm on a project that can't wait. Alice is bringing in lunch."

"I'll pick you up at five?"

"Make it six."

Alice nodded her approval. Once I ended the call, she stood and went to the safe in her office where she kept my rainy day fund.

"You have to go. Delaney will put you on the bus herself. It's time to be Callie Herzberg again. Do not call him! I will take care of him. You know what we've talked about. You have to make a clean break. He knows nothing about your mother?"

"Do you think I told him my mother cleans up after people who he would think are middle class?"

"You need to go before he kills you. I'll take care of everything. Don't worry."

My head was reeling. I winced as Alice pulled me into her arms.

"Once you're home, you can see a doctor. Now open your iPhone. I'll take care of it."

I watched as she deleted my contact for my mother.

"Anyone else?"

"Paige. Delete Paige."

I sat on a Greyhound bus, with nothing, except my handbag. I clung to it because I was filled with cash. We stopped in every city along the route, including changing buses in Boston. I kept reminding myself not to call him. Don't call him, don't call him.

It was still light when we crossed over the Piscataqua River into Maine. As I stepped off the bus in Portland, I saw her. My mother had a big smile and outstretched arms which I fell into.

"Oh baby, mommy's here!"

I winced, and she pulled back. She looked at me and I saw the disappointment in her eyes.

"You need to see a doctor."

"No, they'll ask questions. I don't want trouble."

I followed her to her car and was glad when she drove in the opposite direction of the hospital. When she took the on-ramp heading south I looked at her. "Where are you going?"

"Sweetie, Ray's away. I've been working at the Currier's beach house."

"The beach house!"

Growing up, I was always sad when Paige and her mother went to the beach in the summer. I missed them and fantasized what it would be like.

"Will Paige be there?"

"Only to visit, honey. Mr. Currier is there alone." I felt a pang because he had lost his wife in the same accident that took Brenda. "Ray arranged for me to work for Mr. Currier while he travels."

"I remember him being stern."

"He knows you're coming and is adamant you stay."

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️