36 - Patricia

I jumped when I saw Callie. I was leaving Jim's bed to climb up the stairs in the silent house. Gradually, I had stayed longer and longer with Jim. I never knew when Callie was coming home and stopped wondering. She was as guilty as me.

"Mom!" She sounded shocked enough she hadn't suspected.

Because it was my right as the mother, I turned the table. "What are you up to? That man is still married!"

"He's legally separated and his ex is involved with another man." She was quick to defend her actions.

In retrospect, being with Sam made sense, as I remembered how happy she had become and how she never mentioned Parker, anymore.

"Honey, you need to be careful. The last thing you need is a broken heart."

"What about you? You and Jim! For how long?"

"We care a lot about each other and have for a while now. We aren't ready to share with the kids, so please keep it from Paige, because then everyone will know including Ray and that's awkward. He's Jim's best friend and my boss."

Mom, do you love him?" I nodded. "Does he love you?" I nodded again. "Wow! This is weird, but at least I like him."

"What about you?"

She sighed. "I think I love him, but I don't know how he feels about me."

She worried me because it was my job to worry. "Go get some sleep. We'll talk in the morning."

I stood and watched her climb the stairs and went back to Jim's room. There was no reason not to. When I slid into the bed next to him, he pulled me to him, and I asked, "Did you hear that?"

"Enough to know we're busted, and she's as guilty as we are. I suspected something was going on but had no evidence. I think it was a bit of the old saying, takes one to know one."

"Callie and I are quite a pair." I laughed softly. "And now I have one more thing to worry about."

Jim didn't reply but held me tighter. He fell back to sleep while I had difficulty but was content to rest in his arms. Aside from Callie, my biggest worry was Labor Day. Jim implied we would continue, but I was too afraid to ask him how it would work.

I finally fell back to sleep and woke with a start. It was after seven. I never sleep so late. When I flipped back the light summer blanket, Jim tightened his embrace.

"I need to get up!" He stopped me by nuzzling my neck.

"I like this. I want you in my bed every night."

My belly flipped with excitement. I pushed away. "Coffee. I need to make coffee."

He groaned. "I guess I'll shower."

I was humming to myself when Callie appeared in the kitchen. "You're awfully happy!"

"I am." It came out as a giggle.

Callie rolled her eyes. "Last night, you didn't seem happy about me."

"Oh, sweetheart! I just don't want you hurt again. I mean your heart, not physically."

"When summer ends, I will be sad, but I'm happy now and I'm healing. If nothing else I'll have a caring, gentle relationship to remember."

"How did you become so mature?" I couldn't argue with her when I jumped blindly into love with Jim.

Callie was finishing her coffee when Jim appeared. He wrapped his arms around me from behind. "I can do this now."

"Urgh! She's still my mother! Kids don't want to think about parents having sex!"

I felt my face heat and knew I was beet red. Jim let out a big laugh.

"I want you to bring Sam and those children to dinner. I'd like to meet him."

Callie looked unsure. "I'll ask him and Grizzly Jim, don't hurt my mother."

Jim looked serious. "I never will."

My heart raced.

If you like please vote ⭐️