28 - Patricia

I felt like I was on a honeymoon — well almost since I still had work to do. Callie didn't know about our relationship, but she was hardly at home.

Jim was attentive and given his age insatiable. I had to encourage him to keep with his routine. "You should play golf."

"Can't I watch you?"

"No." I laughed knowing I'd get nothing done.

"I could hire a cleaning service."

I should have been insulted, but I understood his intent. Still, it reminded me he was paying me and I questioned his motive. Was I just a perk or a benefit? Had I fallen for his charm? No, he said he loved me.

I weighed my words carefully. "I feel awkward for you to be paying me now."

"Why? If you worked for O&C and not here would you feel awkward about your paycheck?"

"I wouldn't be washing your clothes at your office."

My job was to do the work of a wife for Ray and now Jim. Except now, I added another wifely activity.

He pulled me into his arms. "I'm not paying you directly. Ray is and I'm reimbursing him. He'd keep paying you even if we spent all day in each other's arms and this house was a mess."

"I couldn't allow that to happen!" I was much too particular.

"They're all coming for the weekend. You can sleep with me instead of Callie." He looked like a cat who ate a canary.

"No, we can't." I disagreed. "It's too new, plus summer will be over and I'll be gone."

"This isn't just a summer thing."

I hoped he was right but had trouble imagining him coming to my apartment over Ray's garage. I could come and visit him here. Either way, Ray would find out, I mused.

"I hope not." I was suddenly unsure. "Let's not bring the kids into it?"

"For now, but I can't promise I won't give it away." My stomach fluttered, because he meant a look or a touch both of which excited me. "I'm not golfing, but I'm going to check on my company."

He kissed me and I missed him the minute he walked out the door. I had never felt this way before. Determined, I set to work until my phone interrupted me. It surprised me that Ray was calling.

"I'm checking in to make sure Jim isn't trying to steal you from me." His tone was jovial.

"No, he wouldn't dare." I teased but thought at least not as a housekeeper.

"He's treating you well and not taking advantage of you?"

I wouldn't say taking advantage, since I'm more than willing although Ray didn't mean like that. "He'll clear the table for me." I answered him truthfully.

"Good, good. I'll be home for Labor Day. I might try to get an invitation to The Point. Oh, how's Callie? Both Paige and Jim have filled me in."

"She's doing better. She found a babysitting job. It's helping her."

"Anything she needs, please let me know. Dan and I can go beat the guy up."

I laughed, because Ray was anything but a fighter. "Let the police handle it, but if you did, I think Jim would go too."

"I suppose he saw her bruised. I'm glad I didn't. I'll let you go get back to work. Let me know if Jim's a problem."

When I hung up, I breathed a sigh of relief. I had lied to him or at least said half-truths. We had until Labor Day and then what?

When Callie came in, I informed her. "Darling, Ray called. He asked after you."

"Nice. So he's having fun?"

"I think so. He didn't say."

"I came to shower. I'm going back and won't be home for dinner."

"The house will be full this weekend."

"I know. I'll see Paige, but I typically work."

"You work more than me."

"It keeps me happy."

Who was I to argue? All I wanted was for my daughter to be happy. When she appeared again, she kissed my cheek and ran into Jim at the door.

"Leaving?"

"Sorry, you're stuck with my boring mother." She kissed his cheek.

"I heard that!" I yelled, but she had left.

Jim was laughing as he walked towards me. "There's nothing boring about you."

My heart skipped a beat, as he approached. Am I too old to want to lead him to the bedroom and undress him?

"How much did you miss me?" He had a wicked smile and a twinkle in his eye.

I was feeling daring. "Enough to put dinner preparations on hold for a while. She's not joining us."

"I can think of something we could do."

I smiled knowing we were thinking of the same thing.

Thanks for voting ⭐️