8 - Patricia

David looked at me as Callie hollered she loved that monster. Tears were in my eyes.

"Callie baby, just lie still. Mommy will take care of you." I cooed as if she were still my baby girl. She quietly sobbed, as I pleaded.

"Cal, I'm not a gynecologist. You need to be seen by someone else."

"It's just a little sore. It's always better in a few days."

I wanted to lash out at that monster as I learned he had hurt my daughter repeatedly.

"I'll stay with you the whole time, but please let me take you to the hospital?"

I held my breath hoping she would agree and refuse at the same time. I just wanted to pull her into my arms and hold her until she didn't hurt anymore. She didn't respond.

"I'll help you sit up and then I'd like to have a listen to your lungs."

The sweet boy I watched grow up, looked so professional with his stethoscope, as he softly asked her to breathe. He turned to me. "Fine." Then he looked her in the eye. "No damage to your lungs. The injuries to your face and ribs concern me. I could get in trouble if you weren't treated properly."

My heart missed two beats when she commented matter of fact. "I might have had broken ribs before. They always just get better in time."

I fought my anguish. "Should we go eat? David, your father must be starving."

It was an excuse, but I suspected Callie needed to trust David and accept his help. She had sat on a bus with her injuries all day, so another half and hour wouldn't hurt.

"I'm starving. Come on Callie. The nutrients will help you heal and then we'll take a little ride. Trust me."

I wondered if David noticed just how thin she was. She looked almost anorexic. I would have to watch her.

I know I never stop being a mother, but since she'd been living in New York, my mothering had been limited to semi-regular phone calls. I realized now we filled our conversations with omissions and lies. I would be doing a lot more mothering in the days to come.

Dinner was quiet. I watched Callie eat very little. David stood. "Come on, Cal, and if we finish up in time, I'll buy you an ice cream on the way home."

"Please, sweetie." I begged. She hung her head and followed David out.

I was frantic inside. Anger and worry melted into an emotional turmoil. Busy, I had to keep busy as I started to clear the table. Jim disappeared until I was almost done cleaning the kitchen. He opened the fridge and poured a glass of wine and handed it to me. I needed it.

"Your phone was ringing when you were upstairs. I hope you don't mind, but I answered. Her boss called. She led the bastard to believe Callie left work early and walked home. If he reports her missing, the police have been told she's safe."

"After the emergency room, the police will really be involved."

I sat pretending to read in silence. Jim didn't talk. It was nice to not feel alone. When I heard them return, I jumped up. Callie looked exhausted and David's face was grim.

"Do you want a shower?"

"I'm too tired."

I found an ice pack in the freezer and wrapped it in a clean towel. I followed her up the stairs and looked in the drawers of David's room for a tee shirt. It was clean, but smelled faintly of sunscreen.

"Here put this on. I'll shop for you tomorrow."

She came out of the bathroom and I handed her two burnt red pills and a glass of water. I tucked her in and placed an ice pack on the side of her face.

"Just call if you need me, baby."

"Mommy, I love you."

"I love you more." I used to say that every night. I wiped a rogue tear, as I walked downstairs. David and Jim were on the porch.

"I'd like to get my hands on that guy!" David's tense face matched the tone of his voice. "She had plenty of faded bruises. How long has it been going on?" He pounded his fist on the table.

"Too long." I barely heard my mumble.

After David left, I turned to Jim before I went upstairs. "Thank you for letting her stay."

"Of course. Patricia, I'm sorry. Are you alright?"

I nodded and then shook my head. "No, but I need to try to sleep."

"Goodnight then."

On the way up the stairs, I decided he wasn't nearly as bad as his reputation.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️