19 - Callie

I spent the entire afternoon engrossed in Sam Mazzarelli's book. His narrative was as if his voice was inside my head. Eventually, my mother checked on me.

"Do you like it?"

I had just finished reading a sensual sex scene. "Um Mom, I didn't know you liked books like this." It was explicit enough to make me blush, especially since I had met the writer.

"Darling, I'm not dead. For goodness sakes, I haven't even hit menopause."

"Mom! TMI!" Had she always been like this?

"What are you going to do about Gail?"

This was not a social visit. She always had a purpose.

"I called her and arranged to meet with her on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons."

"Well, it looks like you've worked it out. Dinner's in fifteen and there's wine open on the porch."

"Mom, you don't need to worry. I won't contact him."

When I reached the porch, they were talking in low voices. They must have been talking about me. At least they didn't look sad or angry. Was it possible my mother was happy?

She jumped up when she saw me and began talking rapidly. "Callie! Sit down. Would you like some wine? I put out some fruit and cheese."

"Mom relax. I'm not a guest."

"I'll just get dinner ready."

As she left Jim smirked. "I think she's happy you're healing."

I was healing physically. My bruises had faded, although Sam noticed them. I had no more discomfort in the bathroom and my ribs felt better.

Emotionally, I had healed too. Intellectually, I knew what he did to me was wrong and it wasn't love. I had to remind myself he had a problem and it wasn't my fault. It all made sense in the light of day, but when the darkness crept in, I wanted to run right back to him.

I spent the evening reading with Sam's voice in my head and in the morning. I was at his door.

"They've just finished breakfast. You can play and get to know each other while I get some work done." He sounded smooth and calm and very much like the voice in his novel.

I sat on the floor while the children played and took part when asked to. After a while, Ian sat next to me. He put his thumb in his mouth and began sucking with his finger looped around his nose. He leaned into me and it surprised me when he began lightly touching the inside of my arm. It tickled a bit, but he was content, so I let him.

Sam came into the room and saw Ian. "Sorry. That's something that he does. It soothes him. Do you mind?"

"No, it tickles a little."

"Do you monkeys want to go to the beach?"

"Yeah! The beach!" Clara cheered.

After everyone changed into swimsuits, including me, it was time for sunscreen. Sam showed me by applying Ian's and then I did Clara's. She didn't stay still and giggled the whole time.

Finally, we set out with Ian in a wagon full of beach toys. Clara told me she was a big girl and could walk. The wagon had big wheels to roll on the sand.

Once we reached the beach, Sam gave instructions. "You have to watch them constantly."

"I know I'm not here to sunbathe."

"You didn't put sunscreen on."

"I did on my face. I don't plan to take my shirt off."

He studied me a minute and opened his mouth and then shut it. I wondered what he wanted to say. Instead, I watched as he took his shirt off. He was not as broad as Parker, but also not physically intimidating. He was not a wimp either but had a nice average build.

Once my assessment was over, I joined Clara at the water's edge while she tried to fill her bucket. After digging and carrying water for at least an hour, I was hot from the sun.

"Let's go to the water, I suggested. I waded in a little, but Ian would only run up to the edge and run away every time a wave broke. Clara was next to me holding my hand.

"Ian, I can carry you." He lifted his arms to me.

Sam walked past. "You've got this."

I watched as he walked out into the water and dove into a wave and swam away. Eventually, he came out dripping with water and smiling.

"Thanks, I haven't been able to do that yet this summer."

I just smiled back.

If you like please vote ⭐️