39 - Callie

I adopted the carpe diem attitude as summer moved on. I spent as much time at Sam's as possible, although I still went home early in the morning. I told myself it was for the children, but I couldn't move in, because it would make moving out that much harder. There was a week left to August when I stayed home two nights. There were multiple reasons, but many were excuses. I needed to prepare to be alone again and so going home seemed the right thing to do one night when I was overly tired and emotional. The following night, I went home even earlier because Sam was busy writing and I had my period which explained my emotional mood.

It surprised my mother to see me and I was just glad I didn't walk in on her and Jim going at it in the kitchen. She was as concerned about me, as I was about Sam leaving. I could only envision long and lonely September days stretched out in front of me. More than just loving Sam, those children gave me purpose. I loved them as much if not more than I did their father.

I woke refreshed and rushed over. A strange car in the driveway. When I entered the cottage, it shocked me to see a woman in the kitchen wearing a silk bathrobe. The children were in front of the TV and didn't run to me like they typically did.

"Oh good. You must be the girl. Make some coffee for me, please." Her voice was dismissive.

Tongue-tied I set to making coffee, although I knew Sam preferred to walk up and buy a cup each morning. "You must be the children's mother."

"I'm Sam's wife. I came to spend time with our children."

The coffee was brewing when Sam entered the kitchen. He looked from her to me and frowned.

"Here's some coffee, Sammy."

He nodded. "I usually take a walk and buy some."

"Nonsense. The girl made it."

I cringed, as Sam looked at me apologetically.

"Callie, let's get them ready for the beach."

I started the routine I had been doing for weeks — bathing suits, sunscreen, snacks. Sam came into the children's room while I was rubbing sunscreen on Ian. "Sorry, she just showed up. I didn't know what to do."

I just shook my head and held back the tears, because I saw her luggage when I walked past his room. They had spent the night together. I wanted to leave, but I would go to the beach. If she was here for the children, she might come with us.

I wasn't sure whether it relieved or upset me when she made no mention of meeting us. She would stay with Sam while I watched their children, because it was my job. I felt myself becoming irritable and short and packed them up earlier than normal. A part of me wanted to catch Sam in his betrayal. He lied to me and I fell for it.

My plan was to drop them off and let their mother feed them lunch. What did it matter, if he fired me? I was about ready to quit. Although I hoped it mattered to the children.

To my surprise, Sam was carrying her overnight bag to the car, as we approached the house.

"She's leaving."

"Thankfully." He sighed.

What did that mean? Could he tell when he looked at me I had been on the verge of tears all morning? I hurt places Parker's fist had never reached.

When she saw the children she frowned. Clara ran to her. "You'll get me dirty. Please clean them up." The latter, she directed at me.

Sam stepped in. "Come on, outside shower and then lunch."

I followed Sam around the side of the house. My desire to flee had waned; now I wanted to stay and confront him. I wanted answers and to make sure he knew what he did wasn't right. I was suddenly angry. While the children rinsed, I refused to look at him. Instead, I took my cap off and pulled my hair out the ponytail that I always wore at the beach. When I arrived I was wearing the Red Sox cap that I had acquired it from Jim. I probably looked like a seventeen-year-old, and I felt the need to face Sam's wife looking more like me.

We entered the house through the back into the kitchen and I started on lunch. I was smearing peanut butter onto bread.

She called out to the children. "Come give mummy a kiss."

I turned to watch as she turned her cheek to each child. I had already had at least two sandy mouth kisses from each of them that morning. Sam was standing behind her and observed the kisses with a sad expression.

She stood and looked at me and something changed in her eyes. "Do I know you?" I shook my head, as she continued to look at me.

I felt conspicuous and Sam intervened. "I thought you were in a hurry."

"Wait. I've got it! You're the one who ran off and left poor Parker heartbroken. Oh, what a wonderful man, he is."

I froze in fear. Sam snapped. "Phoebe, you can't tell him you saw her. He's not wonderful. He's a monster."

"Nonsense." She casually flipped her hand.

"No, if you tell him you're putting your children at risk. He's dangerous!"

"Sam, you're living in a fantasy world like your little books. The man loved her, although I don't see why." she looked down her nose at me. I couldn't respond because of the shock.

"Phoebe. I mean it. This is serious. Do not tell him!"

She scoffed. "He'll love me for it. He's a Van Buren, part of the Manhattan elite. Stop being dramatic. Our children are of no consequence to him. I've got to go."

She left, and I stood frozen in place. Sam was like a caged animal, he kept pacing and occasionally mumbled. "Shit, shit." I watched as he frantically texted on his phone. Finally, he looked at me. "Oh my God, Callie. I'm so sorry."

Finally, I found my voice. "For what? Sleeping with me!"

His eyes popped out of his head. "No! Never! For not kicking her out when she showed up at midnight. For not warning you, she was here and most of all for her recognizing you. I know her, she's too into her social status to listen to me. She has probably already called him."

"He has access to private jets. He will come for me!"

"I know! We need to go to your house. Quickly grab some clothes for the kids and I don't know, toys, a movie, something."

Please vote ⭐️