34 - Patricia

I remembered what Jim told me about Liz, but watching her with him made me jealous. I lost count of the times she touched him. She did it when she laughed at everything he said. Then if anyone mentioned Debra, she would touch his arm as if consoling him.

I tried to find good qualities about her, but the only one I could focus on was she cared about Jim. Obviously, that didn't help because she cared too much.

If the touching wasn't bad enough, his sons seemed to think their father was involved with this other woman. Dan commented to me in the kitchen.

"I'm glad my Dad found someone. He's been really lonely."

I tried to dispel his assumption with reason. "Are you sure? Today is the first I've even heard of her. I don't think he's seen her all summer."

He shrugged. "He must take her out."

"He hasn't missed a dinner since I came in June."

I was most upset about the fact she treated me like a servant. When I attempted to sit down to eat my dinner, she suggested I should eat in the kitchen. Before Jim could protest, Paige did.

"Patricia sit here. You have always been family."

I sat next to Jim and Liz glared at me. Did she know? Jim didn't reach under the table, but he pressed his thigh against mine. I hadn't been prepared for the jealousy I felt. Never in my life had I had a man worthy of my jealousy.

After dinner as plans were being made for fireworks, I was busy in the kitchen. I felt a loss when Jim went with the others to go out on the boat. Callie was watching from the beach with her little ones.

I was just finished cleaning up when Jim appeared. Surprised, I asked, "What are you doing here?"

He smiled and his eyes sparkled. "I was untying the boat and instead of jumping in, I pushed it off and called out have fun!"

"What did Liz do?"

"She called out for David to take her back."

"I yelled I was fine and turned and walked away."

"Will they bring her up the river and drop her off?"

"No, I think Paige could tell she was annoying me."

"Dan thinks you're an item. I tried to tell him if you were you hadn't seen her all summer."

"I might have to tell her I'm seeing someone else."

I leaned into him. "I missed you."

He kissed me, as he wrapped me in an embrace. "Let's get drinks and watch the fireworks from the lawn."

He disappeared and came back with a blanket. I felt like a teenager, as we laid side by side holding hands.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For the way she treated you. You know if Paige hadn't said simething."

"I know. I think your sons would have found out we are lovers." I laughed. "None of it was really funny."

Jim turned to me. His lips found mine and didn't part until we heard the whistling of the first firework. I had never been more content as I was holding Jim's hand, watching colors explode in the sky.

As soon as the finale ended, we went in. I put the blanket on the washer and our glasses in the dishwasher.

"I'm going upstairs, so you can say goodnight to your girlfriend."

He didn't smile at my joke. "It's you I love. Don't forget it."

My heart leaped.

Once in my room, I could hear their voices carrying in the night air as they returned to the house. I saw David was holding hands with his friend.

"Dad, what happened?" Dan asked.

"I didn't feel like going." His voice was distinctive. He must have been on the porch below.

"It's fine. We had fun right Liz?" Paige said.

David said, "We could have used an extra man to help get Paige out of the boat."

"Ha, ha. You're not funny David Currier!" I smiled listening to their banter.

Everyone came inside and after a short while, I heard Jim again. His voice was strong.

"I hope you had a nice time."

"I would have liked some time alone with you."

"The thing is you're a good friend. I'm not looking for more from you."

"You need more time with your loss."

"No, I don't. In fact, I've started seeing someone. I'm telling you as a friend, but even the boys don't know. I trust you."

"I don't believe you." I heard her sobs.

"I'm sorry, but it's true."

I heard a car door slam before she drove away. In the quiet night air I heard Jim finish his thought. "It's true that I love her."

He knew I had the front bedroom and must have known I was listening.

Thanks for voting ⭐️