38 - Patricia

I wasn't sure what I expected when Callie arrived with Sam and his children. Obviously, the children were shy, but seeing Clara cling to Callie tugged at my heart. They had become very close in a relatively short time.

As we sat on the porch, I witnessed little Ian touching Callie's arm to comfort himself. Meanwhile, Callie continued talking, as if it were the most natural thing.

I laughed when they called Jim a bear and growled at him. Jim was a good sport, and I teased him about training to be a grandfather.

Even more than the children, Sam surprised me. I knew he was older than Callie. He seemed a little nervous when he arrived, but relaxed after Jim took him down to the river to see the kayaks.

I watched him and caught him looking at Callie with a look of almost reverence. He may care deeper for her than even he realized.

Callie joined me in the kitchen. "So?"

"Sweetie, I like him. It's obvious why you love his children. They're precious."

She smiled, as if I was approving her own children. Her having children eventually gave me a thrill. I was excited about Paige, but Callie was my daughter.

They didn't linger long after dinner because of the children's bedtime. Walking away, they looked like a family.

Jim helped me clean up. We worked in silence until he spoke first. "Do you like him?"

"I do"

"But?"

"There is a lot of uncertainty. I worry she'll get hurt. What did you talk about?"

"I said we were lucky to have the lovely Herzberg women. He agreed. Then he asked me about the investigation. He didn't come out and say it, but he seemed interested in knowing when she could go back to the city."

"Do you think..." I stopped myself.

"What?"

"Nothing." I felt like any question I had could be asked about us. "I just don't want her hurt."

"He didn't give me that impression, but if he needs to leave and she can't go, it will be difficult. We're lucky."

"How so?"

"Because we don't have the same distance issues. Not that we don't have some things to figure out, but we will in time."

In my mind, our biggest obstacle was Ray. I was thinking out loud. "Like Ray."

Jim laughed. "I hope you aren't attached to all my fingers, because he'll be out for blood if I steal you."

"I can't work for you."

Jim laughed again. "Darling, don't you understand if I have my way, you wouldn't be on anyone's payroll."

"I need to provide for myself."

"Unless I do."

My tummy did a tumble. "I hope Ray doesn't hate you."

"He'll get over it."

What was 'it'? Did I want to quit my job and officially move in with Jim? All I knew was I wanted to be with him.

Thanks for voting ⭐️