25 - Callie

It confused me when I left Sam, because I wanted him. The memory of those last times with Parker caused the pain to come back. I told myself Sam wouldn't hurt me. He was so gentle with his kids. I could see his long fingers tying Clara's shoe, then I imagined them on my body.

I quieted that voice in my head which called me a whore. I was a grown woman, I could have sex with a man I was attracted to. A man I cared about.

The house was empty. When I saw the note, I was glad my mother was getting along with Jim. He was much nicer than I expected.

I needed to face my past before I could move forward with Sam, so I called the detective. I hadn't heard from her since my interview. After identifying myself, I asked if she had any updates.

"Callie, how are you?"

"I'm okay, but what's happening with Parker?"

"We're still investigating."

"But isn't what he did to me enough?"

"Yes, but he wouldn't go away for very long. We don't want him getting out and coming after you. We want to send him away for a long time. For now just hang tight, since you're safe where you are."

Sighing as the dread returned, I hung up and called my friend Delaney.

"Hey Cal, how are you?"

"I'm okay."

Why was that my response?

"Are you bored? Do you miss shopping with me?"

I looked at my shorts and shirt and laughed. "My clothes are from Target and I love them. Believe it or not, I'm not bored, because I've been watching the cutest little kids. We go to the beach every day."

"Babysitting!"

"Yup, I'm learning what's important in life."

"What's that?"

"That it's impossible to fill a moat, the sand soaks up the water." It frustrated Clara. "Kidding. Family and friends and someday, I want children of my own."

"My God, what happened to you? Oh, shoot! Sorry, but I've got to go."

I hung up and remembered the fast pace, I had once been a part of. Everything was urgent and needed to be done yesterday. What happened to me? Suddenly none of it was important anymore. Actually, it seemed rather frivolous. Could it be because Sam, Clara, and Ian happened? They were teaching me to slow down and live life.

I could live life by spending time in Sam's arms. He answered when I called him. "Hey."

"I was wondering, can I come hang out later?"

I heard him smile. "Of course. We can go to the beach after dinner."

"All right. Bye Sam."

I thought of his books and the sensual sex scenes he wrote. Oh my God, I could experience the real Sam Mazzarelli while other women just read his words on a page.

It surprised me to see my mother and Jim return home in swimsuits. "Did you go to the beach?"

"No, we went out on Jim's boat."

"Callie, come for a ride sometime." Jim sounded jovial.

"Yeah. Okay." I wondered if I could bring Sam and the kids, but didn't ask.

I watched as they both went off to shower. Jim appeared first. "I'm going for lobster rolls. Do you want one?"

Mom came down after he left. She looked happy, as she threw together a salad. If my mother could recover from her abuse, then I could overcome what Parker did to me. She was perpetually single and happy.

If you like please vote ⭐️