6 - Patricia

I had been working at The Point for a week and was adjusting to my new employer. Jim Currier was particular, but I was too, so he hadn't asked for anything I wouldn't have done anyway, except one thing.

Mr. Currier was lonely and requested I sit with him. It was not unusual for me to join Ray for meals. I had often sat with Brenda and I enjoyed my meals with the dueling Paige and Dan, but they had never required me. I suppose I was housekeeper and companion for the summer.

I did not dislike our time together. Mr. C was a conversationalist. For years, I had heard his wife and boys complain he was strict, but I sensed his motivation was love. As a parent myself, I understood.

We were just finishing lunch, when my phone rang. I had seen it was Callie calling from her office and walked into the kitchen.

"Hi, sweetheart."

"Ms. Herzberg. I'm Alice, Callie's boss." The voice on the phone explained.

My stomach lurched and settled with a pit of dread. "Where's Callie? Is she all right?"

"She's on her way to you. We put her on the Greyhound to Portland this morning."

"The Greyhound, but isn't Parker wealthy? What's happening?"

"I'm sorry. I should have forced her to leave months ago, but she wasn't ready. You should know when you see her, her face is badly beaten. She'll need medical attention."

"Did he do it?" I asked feeling like I stepped back into the past.

"Yes, and he thinks she's here working. I don't think he knows your name or where you live. She'll be safe with you."

When I hung up, I turned to Mr. C who was in the doorway looking at me. I busied myself at the sink. It surprised me when he brought in the dishes from the dining room.

Gently he spoke. "Tell me."

I jumped when he put his hand on my shoulder. He turned me around and I saw kindness in his eyes.

"My daughter is coming home. It seems her boyfriend has been..." I sobbed.

"Has he hurt her?" His voice was stern.

I could only nod over and over.

He led me to the living room and brought me a glass of water. He waited patiently for me to gain composure.

"Where is she now?"

"The bus to Portland. I don't want her alone in our apartment."

"She'll stay here. We'll give her Paige and Dan's room."

"What if they want to stay over?"

"They'll understand. Hell, I'll give them my room and bunk in with David, if I have to."

"Thank you, Mister..."

"Good God, call me Jim. I know you called my Deb, Debra!" I nodded. "What time does the bus arrive?"

I told him and he picked up his own phone and started texting. Almost immediately his phone rang, and he answered. "I assumed you were busy. I need you here at seven tonight. We'll feed you. No, I'm not going to set you up. We need a doctor. I'll explain it all tonight."

He asked his son, David to come and take care of my daughter. "Thank you. I should start thinking about dinner then."

Thanks for voting ⭐️