15 - Callie

I waited until after my mother had cleaned the kitchen from dinner and was sitting on the porch with Mr. C. Using the landline in the kitchen, I dialed the number. A man answered, who I assumed was the father from the beach.

"I'm calling about the babysitting. Do you still need someone?"

"Yes. I thought I would have to make a colorful sign. It has been up a week and you're my first call."

"I'm very interested. How does this work?" I was suddenly unsure. I hadn't babysat in years, but they weren't exactly babies.

"Could you come by so I can meet you, say ten tomorrow morning?"

I was scheduled to meet with Gail in the morning, but I told him yes. After I hung up, I went out to the porch. My mother was laughing. I liked when she was happy.

She smiled at me. "Oh darling, Jim was telling me a story about Ray from their college days."

Jim said, "Callie, come sit. You didn't tell us about your walk."

I looked from one to the other and then at the view of the river. It was calm than the ocean.

"I have some news. I'm excited about it, but Mom it means I can't see Gail tomorrow."

I could tell she wanted to argue, but he held his hand out as if to stop her. "What's your news?"

"I found this at the store and called."

I handed my mother the card. She read it and handed it to Jim.

Her words came out slowly. "You want to babysit?"

"It's crazy, but they were on the beach or two children with the same names were. I watched them play and felt joy. Then I found this and it's fate."

"I think it's a perfect idea. We all need to feel needed." Jim smiled.

"Thanks. See Mom even Mr. Currier thinks it's a good idea. I'm meeting them at ten am."

"Callie, do me a favor and call me Jim. If you want something more formal, I'll agree to Uncle Jim, but even at my office the eighteen-year-old who files and sorts the mail calls me Jim."

Feeling in a good mood, I teased, "Wouldn't James be the more formal option?"

"My Mother called me James, and occasional, my wife when I was in the doghouse."

I felt sorry because he looked sad at the mention of his wife. My mother must have sensed it too, because she reached over and squeezed his arm.

I missed Parker, but it couldn't compare to the way they missed Brenda and Debra. The last time I came home was for their funerals. I met Parker right after I returned. I was feeling sad and went out to a club with friends to cheer up. Parker bought me drinks, so I was drunk when I went home with him. When I woke up in a penthouse, I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world. According to Parker, I was nothing more than a whore.

Jim must have recovered, because he cheerfully said, "How about ice cream ladies, my treat?"

If you like please vote ⭐️