7 - Callie

I had been worried since six-oh-one. Parker would be livid when I didn't step onto the sidewalk. Would he go upstairs to the office? What would Alice do? Alice had told me she had the situation under control. Would he hurt her too?

I had been uncomfortable on the bus all day. My ribs hurt, and I still had pain between my legs, especially when I went pee. I noticed the other passengers staring at me. One look in the mirror confirmed the bruises on my face were only getting worse.

I saw the look in my mother's eyes when I stepped off the bus. She looked pained and angry. Was she angry at me for allowing it? I loved him. How could I stop loving him? I kept remembering how loving he had been after. It was always my fault. I could go back and behave. No, he would be even angrier since I left him.

I groaned from the seat belt cutting across my body. Mom reached over and squeezed my hand. She turned to look at me and smiled. She looked beautiful with a tan and sun-lightened hair. We could almost pass as sisters with the same golden hair.

We pulled into a driveway with two other cars. "Here we are. You must be hungry. I made lasagne your favorite. I know it's meant for a cold day, but I set it to bake before I left for Portland."

I smiled weakly. Her rambling told me she was anxious. I didn't want to eat, but I would have to try. I never ate anything with fat in it like lasagna. Parker liked me thin and beautiful, so I ate like a model.

I followed Mom into the house and Mr. Currier, who looked tan and fit for an old guy, greeted me cautiously. Smiling next to him was one of the Currier brothers, but I didn't know which one.

"Oh, David! Thanks for coming."

I watched as my mother hugged him and whispered to him. He nodded and patted her shoulder reassuringly. I suddenly felt uncomfortable.

"Why are you thanking him? Why is he here?" Alarmed went off in my head.

"Sweetheart, it's fine. David's a doctor. Your friend, Alice told me you needed medical attention. Do you want to eat first?"

My stomach felt sour. I shook my head. I just wanted the pain to go away. My ribs hurt, and my head and eye throbbed. I couldn't think about how I felt between my legs. I wouldn't show him between my legs. I shuddered.

"It's all right. You don't need to be afraid of David. Let's go upstairs. You can have Paige's room."

The room looked so comfortable. The calming green felt like a cocoon.

David spoke calmly. "I remember you as a little girl. You look just like your mom."

He smiled, and I remembered him as a teenager. He was always kind. I shut my eyes and thought about what I knew about him. I remembered hearing he was gay. When I opened my eyes, he was looking at me and I was certain he wouldn't hurt me.

"Does your head hurt?" he asked as he shined a light in my eyes. I nodded. "Okay Callie, I'm going to touch your face. I know it will hurt. I'm sorry."

I stiffened and braced myself like I did when I saw Parker's fist. David's touch was gentle as he felt my cheekbone. I remained stoic through the pain. As he examined my nose and my eye, I held my breath. The pain was unbearable. I felt tears form.

He spoke to me, asking questions about New York and my job. He looked at me with soft eyes. "Nothing seems broken, but I can't be certain. It is badly bruised. It should have been iced. It's a miracle, but as of now, you don't have a concussion. You could have latent symptoms, so we'll watch you the next few days, but lots of rest is the answer, regardless." I nodded. "Now if you lie down, I can check your ribs."

I did as he told me and lifted my blouse. His fingers touched each rib until I winced.

"You will need an x-ray to be sure, but I think some are broken. The bruising is bad."

His eyes move towards my hip which had a faded bruise from before. I shut my eyes hoping to block the memory.

He looked at me with sad eyes. "Where else did he hurt you?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and shook my head. I was too ashamed to admit what he did to me.

My mother said, "Callie baby, it's alright, please tell us?"

I didn't answer. I lay still with my eyes closed.

"Callie," David said. "I think you need to get x-rays. They'll need to take pictures." My eyes shot open. He squeezed my hand. "It's for evidence."

I yelled frantically. "No! No! No! It was my fault! I love him!"

If you like please vote ⭐️