40 - Patricia

I was preparing lunch when Callie and Sam burst into the house with the children.

Callie cried out as she fell into my arms. "Oh Mom!"

Jim immediately asked Sam what was wrong and Sam explained. My heart beat rapidly, and I suddenly felt cold. Jim took control, and we watched as he called the detective in New York.

"They'll notify and work with the police here. Callie, you and Sam take the kids to Ray's. You'll be safe there. We'll let the police do their job."

"Do you need food?"

Sam replied, "No, we'll be fine. I just want to keep her safe."

After they left, I collapsed into Jim's arms. I took comfort from his strength and the way he took control. For so long, I had to take care of myself, and it was a relief to have someone else take over. Jim had been my rock from the moment I received the phone call from Callie's boss.

"Thank you."

"For what?" He looked serious.

"For taking care of me. I've been on my own for so long."

"You're not on your own, not anymore. Like it or not, you're stuck with me."

My heart leaped and returned to the pit of my stomach. "What do we do?"

"We wait."

We didn't have to wait long before a black SUV pulled into the driveway. It was unmarked, but because of the antennas, we knew it was a police car. A man and a woman approached the door, and Jim opened it before they could knock.

I sat as Jim explained the events of the summer and only added one or two facts. I said, "She's safe. What was that woman thinking to risk her own children?"

The woman detective replied, "These men fool people."

The male detective received a phone call and then the pair left. Jim and I were left to stare at each other. We had spent multiple afternoons in each other's company, but suddenly neither knew what to do. We hardly ate and after I wiped the counters down for the fifth time while Jim paced, he suggested a walk on the beach.

"Can we walk past Sam's cottage?"

He nodded and smiled. I suspected he was thinking the same thing.

We didn't speak as we walked. It was strange how all around us families were enjoying the summer day unaware the police were getting ready to catch an animal.

"You know this might be a good thing. They can set a trap and if they catch him, it might finally be over."

When we walked past Sam's cottage, it was quiet. Only a car in the driveway let us know someone was there waiting. As we approached River Road, a car turned and drove past us too fast. I wasn't sure, but I thought it might be him. It had hardly been three hours since Callie burst into the house. It always amazed me what money could do.

I squeezed Jim's hand as I stopped and turned around. We watched from a safe distance as he pulled up in front of Sam's cottage. I looked around the quiet street. There were no neighbors around and no children playing.

He disrupted the quiet by banged on the door. "Callie bitch, I know you're in there! Open up, you little whore!"

Jim tightened his arm around me. "We should go."

I couldn't leave. I needed to see with my own eyes.

The hollering continued and escalated. "Open up bitch! You're going to be sorry for leaving me. I'm gonna kill you, whore!"

I felt my body shaking and then I saw a man come around the house and approach the animal. He turned and the front door opened and the woman we met early came out with her gun raised. In an instant, he was on the ground and cuffed. I gasped as I saw the woman pull a gun out of his waist. He had come with a weapon. He had come to kill her.

"Thank God, he had a gun."

"What?" I asked shocked.

"He threatened to kill her and he had the weapon to do it. He can go away for that."

We watched, as they loaded him into the SUV which pulled up seconds later. As they drove away, a family was returning from the beach. Little did they know what had just happened on their street.

Thanks for voting ⭐️