12 - Patricia

There was nothing relaxing about this summer. I spent every moment on edge. It's true what they say about when your child is hurting, you hurt. Every day, I took Callie to meet with Gail. It helped, except I had trouble keeping up with my work. To think a few weeks before, I had been bored. Jim completely understood and reminded me he was used to horrible housekeepers, which was why he was so glad to steal me. Truthfully, it surprised me just how supportive he had been towards me and my daughter.

I had received regular phone calls from Alice. Parker knew Callie was not missing and the police had brought him in for questioning. He was angrier than ever and had threatened Alice for information. They needed to stop him before he abused another girl. I doubted Callie was the first. The police wanted to talk to Callie, and we arranged for a phone call from the shelter with Gail present, but Callie didn't know about it yet.

I felt very overwhelmed and couldn't stop the tears as I tried to prepare lunch. It was a gloomy, rainy day, and I felt worse than the dark sky.

"Patricia." A quiet voice interrupted my thoughts.

I almost didn't hear, but I looked and saw Jim watching me. I tried to gain composure and wiped my eyes. I wanted to run upstairs, but I would have to pass him in the doorway. The last thing I expected was for him to approach me and offer a shoulder to cry on. He felt stiff and uncomfortable, but he put his arms around me in an embrace and rubbed my back, as I blubbered all over his shirt.

"It will be all right. You're not alone. We're your family."

Slowly, I gained control of myself and after pulling away, I gave him a weak smile. His eyes looked pained and again I wondered if he was anything like his reputation. How would Ray have handled this? He would probably need comfort since he treated Callie like a niece. It occurred to me during our grieving after his wife died, Ray and I never hugged each other. There was always a thin line we never crossed. I was glad Jim didn't have the same line, because I needed the comfort he provided.

When we sat down to lunch, Jim was a solver and he wanted to help. He thought if he could somehow throw money at the situation, it would get better.

"I'm not sure there is anything we can do. We need to hope the police do their job and she heals physically and emotionally. I just hate to see her hurt."

Jim reached over and squeezed my hand. "Is she joining us for lunch?"

She had been hiding in her room, and I was allowing her by bringing her trays. "Perhaps I'll stop her trays. I also want to encourage her to take some walks. Obviously not today, but..."

He agreed. "One day at a time, I learned the hard way. You'd be surprised how things change when you've strung enough days together."

Yes, he wasn't anything like his reputation.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️