32 - Patricia

Dan and Paige arrived first. Hershey ran right to me and rolled over at my feet. I reached down to rub her soft belly. Then she sniffed Jim's shoes before deciding she wanted attention from him. He reached down and pet her head.

I herded them to the porch while I prepared dinner. I heard pieces of the conversation and knew it was shop talk. Paige was animated, and that made my heart soar since I loved her like another daughter. I had made Callie promise to come home for dinner and she arrived next.

I watched Paige raise her eyebrows as Jim moved over for Callie to sit next to him. After Callie kissed his cheek, Paige eased herself up and lumbered into the kitchen.

"What happened to Jim?" She twisted her face in confusion.

"Callie tamed him." If only she knew about my part. "She calls him a grizzly bear. He loves it."

"He's not driving you crazy?"

"Sweetheart, compared to you and Dan."

Paige laughed. "Point taken. She seems to be okay?"

"This job has done wonders."

"Oh right! I want to meet him." She went back to the porch. "Hey Cal, I want to meet Sam. I love his books and he is so cute."

Dan smirked. "Good luck turning his head with your figure."

"Hey, I just said he was cute. I'm only interested in the guy who gave me this amazing figure." She showed off her belly which looked more like a beach ball in her shirt.

Callie laughed. "You two are too damn cute."

I smiled and caught Jim's eye. I was back in the kitchen when David arrived. He greeted me with a hug. "Can I have a plus one for dinner tomorrow?"

"Someone special?" I smiled at his sweet face.

"Possibly." He winked.

"You know I always have plenty. Tell your dad."

Listening to myself, I felt like part of the family, almost like his, dare I think it, step-mother. I set the serving dishes on the table in the dining room. There were too many of us for the porch. Everyone came in and took spots, leaving one for me next to Jim, who was at the head. I looked around thinking about squeezing in two more tomorrow night.

David said, "Dad, I have a friend coming tomorrow."

"Is he someone serious?"

"Maybe, it's a little soon."

Dan teased his brother. "Are you in love?"

David ignored his brother. Paige said, "You've never mentioned anyone. Tell us!"

"I met him at the hospital. He's an anesthesiologist. He's older than me. He's forty-four."

They had a bigger age difference than Jim and I. David's friend was closer to my age. I looked at Jim and he looked back out of the corner of his eye. "Well, I for one look forward to meeting him. Although I'm glad he isn't old like me, I personally don't see age as a factor in adult relationships."

David looked shocked. "Thanks, Dad!"

I patted Jim's knee ever so briefly, but his fingers were there to brush mine. He had just prepared his children to hear about his younger lover.

Once the news of David's guest set in, he relaxed, and the conversation grew lively. I laughed and wondered if this was my future? I refused to hope. As soon as dinner ended Callie left to go back to the children.

The others were on the porch while I cleaned up. I liked to listen to happy voices. Jim wandered in. "Interesting evening. I wish we could just tell them."

"No, what if Ray finds out? Wouldn't it be awkward? He's your friend and my employer."

"Fine. I'll wait, but I'll miss you."

Dan called out. "Dad! Get more beer."

I went to sit in the living room to give them space. Eventually, Paige came in before heading upstairs.

"Do you need anything, honey?"

"Only sleep and for this month to be over." She sighed wearily. I smiled. She looked beautiful, even if she didn't feel it. "I've been thinking. You're the closest thing this baby..." She rubbed her belly. "... will have to a grandmother."

My heart stopped how did she know about Jim? Foolishly I had forgotten I had helped raise her. "I'd like that. Now get some sleep, sweetheart."

Sometime later, Dan took the dog out. When he returned, the rest came through and I got up from the sofa. Dan put his arm around me and kissed my cheek. "Goodnight. Patty."

"Goodnight, Danny." I patted his cheek.

"Do you boys need anything?" I looked towards the brothers. I saw pieces of Jim in each of them. I have always loved them, but my affection felt a little different.

David shook his head. "No. Goodnight."

I watched them climb the stairs. Jim was behind me. "I need something."

I followed him into his room. "Just for a minute."

What could possibly go wrong? ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️