XXIII

"So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here, doc? All the

"So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here, doc? All the... the other doctors that were supposed to be figuring out what happened, where are they?" Shane asked, taking a long sip from his wine as everyone mellowed out because of his statement, and I knew Daryl was standing right behind me, getting ready to say something. 

"We're celebrating, Shane. Don't need to do this now." Rick grumbled, taking a drink as well. I honestly think he should stop. He's had a lot. And he is supposed to be the leader of this group now right? Well it's our first night here. Something could go wrong, and we don't need a drunk leader when it happens. 

"Whoa, wait a second. This is why we're here, right? This was your move... supposed to find all the answers. Instead we..." Shane cut himself off, shaking his head as he let out the most condescending chuckle I had ever heard. "We found him. Found one man. Why?"

"Well, when things got bad, a lot of people just left. Went off to be with their families. And when things got worse, when the military cordon got overrun, the rest bolted." Jenner tried to explain, but I knew that wouldn't be enough for Shane. 

"Every last one?"

"No, many couldn't face walking out the door. They... opted out. There was a rash of suicides. That was a bad time." 

"You didn't leave. Why?"

"I just kept working. Hoping to do some good." Jenner said, trailing off, and I knew that would be all we would get tonight. 

"Dude, you are such a buzzkill man." Glenn slurred from beside me, and I couldn't hold in the laugh, but no one else seemed to find it very funny. Finally Jenner seemed to realize everyone had lost their appetite, so he stood up and gestured for us to follow him. 

When I stood up, I was surprised when pretty much immediately, an arm was slung around my shoulder. I looked over and saw Daryl, not even looking at me, simply taking a swig from his bottle, and trying not to put any weight on me, besides the natural weight of his arm. I felt like he didn't quite know what he was doing, but I ignored it, and tried to enjoy it while it lasted, easing into his arm, and glancing behind us to see Merle had grabbed all of our things, including Bailey's large tub and Daryl's crossbow. 

"Most of the facility is powered down including housing, so you'll have to make do here. The couches are comfortable, but there are cots in storage if you like. There's a rec room down the hall that you kid might enjoy. Just don't plug in the video games, okay? Or anything that draws power. The same applies, if you shower, go easy on the hot water." Jenner was saying from the front of the group, but everyone froze when he said hot water. 

"Hot water?" Glenn exclaimed from the front, turning to look at us. 

"That's what the man said!" T-Dog replied, both grinning happily, as everyone quickly split off to try and find a room, leaving me with the Dixons in the middle of the hallway. 

"Come on sweetheart. Let's get him into bed." Merle grumbled from behind me, moving past us to pick a room, finally finding an empty one further down near the end of the hallway. Daryl followed along easily, never removing his arm from my shoulder, instead choosing to pull me closer every now and then, and taking random swigs from his bottle. Merle put all of our stuff down and looked around the room before going over to the couch and messing around with it while I stood in the doorway with Daryl. 

"All right so the couch is a pull out. You can sleep there. I'll go get some cots for Daryl and I. Take that bottle from him and shove him in the shower. I'll be back." Merle said grumpily, probably a little drunk too, but being forced to take care of us. I just nodded and moved into the room, freeing up the door so he could leave, and then I moved back, still attached to Daryl, to close the door so Daryl could have some privacy when he took his shower. 

"Daryl?" I said gently, moving to look at him finally, and he finally looked down at me, dropping the arm holding the bottle to his side, and using the other to pull me so I was pressed up against him, chest-to-chest. 

"Hmm?" He hummed, reaching up the hand with the bottle to use a finger and push a strand of hair away from my face. 

"Can I have that please?" I asked, looking at the bottle, and he handed it to me without any struggle, and I looked around for somewhere to put it, and thankfully there was a small table next to me, so I put it on that, and when I looked bucket Daryl, he wrapped the arm that had been holding the bottle around my waist, pulling me impossibly closer. 

"Daryl, I need you to go take a shower okay? You need to sober up." I said gently, trying to unwind myself (even though I desperately wanted to stay right where I was). And Daryl seemed to agree, because he started to pout. It was a face I had never seen on him, and I would love to see it again, it was adorable. 

"Why? I'm sober. I want to stay here." I chuckled a little and managed to pull my head away from his, so we were a few more inches apart as I was starting to feel very flustered. 

"No you're not. You wouldn't be doing this if you were sober." 

"Sure I would." He argued, jutting out his lower lip and pulling me closer again, this time locking his arms, one on my hip, and one on the opposite shoulder so I couldn't wiggle out, and buried his head in the crook between my neck and my shoulder. 

"Daryl. Shower. Please. Now." I said, trying to sound firm, but it wasn't really working since I could feel his breaths traveling down my neck, past the collar of my shirt, and down between my breasts. 

"Don't wanna." He murmured, his voice a lot deeper than it was a second ago, and I didn't want him to either but Merle was going to be back in a second, and this was not a great position to be found in. 

"You need to. Merle will be back in a second, and you need to shower and I need to change. You don't want Merle to see me change do you?" I tried, maybe if he was acting like this, somewhere in his head he was attracted to me, and he would be jealous about a thought like that. 

"No." Daryl growled, tearing himself away from me and giving me the most pitiful glare, similar to one Carl had given me when he was three and I had said he couldn't have a cookie before supper. 

"So you'll go shower while I change?" I asked again, still in his arms, just not completely enveloped in him this time. 

"Yes." Daryl said grumpily, pulling away from me and stumbling over to one of the bags Merle had carried in, grabbed it, and moved past me to the only other door, which had to be a bathroom. My questions were confirmed when a few moments later the shower turned on, and I could hear Daryl cursing as he tried to take his clothes off. I cautiously moved closer to the door, to try and hear what he was saying. 

"Stupid fucking buttons. Why the fuck are there so many buttons? What the fuck!" I held in my giggle as I rapped on the door. It was silent for a second before the door opened, and Daryl was standing in front of me, with no shoes on, and looking very disgruntled. 

"Do you need help?"