LXII

I followed closely behind Daryl, as he led me out to the courtyard by my hand, and I could faintly hear footsteps behind us, but I didn't turn, choosing to focus entirely on Daryl

I followed closely behind Daryl, as he led me out to the courtyard by my hand, and I could faintly hear footsteps behind us, but I didn't turn, choosing to focus entirely on Daryl. When he led me through the door, out into the sun, I was greeted with no walkers. All the bodies were gone, they must have cleaned them up early this morning or late last night when I wasn't paying attention. I squinted, and I could see that the grass courtyard past the fence was cleared out as well, and the entire group was standing down there in a semi-circle, facing us as we walked towards them. 

"What's going on?" I whispered anxiously to Daryl, who just glanced at me with a smirk, but didn't answer, pulling me on until we were right in front of Hershel, who was standing in about the middle of the group, holding his Bible. 

"What, are we having a sermon?" I joked, trying to understand what was happening, and I heard Beth and Carl giggle from my left, but Hershel just shook his head, and looked around. 

"Alright, everyone is here. So let's begin." Hershel said, clearing his throat, and opening the Bible, flipping to one of the pages in the front, and I realized his Bible seemed different than ones I've seen. Thicker maybe. Maybe it had sermons in it? Plus it had pages stuffed in there, that looked like notes. 

"First, I'd like to begin by saying thank you all for coming on such short notice, I know we all had much better things to do today, but since we love these two I guess we had to do this." Hershel said, with a grin towards the people around us, who all cracked up laughing, and when I glanced at Daryl, even he had a slight smirk, but I still didn't get it.

"I truly can't think of a better venue than this prison for an occasion of this magnitude. Especially since she will be his ball-and-chain for many years after this." Hershel continued, and the laughter around us started up again, and I suddenly understood and I couldn't control the tears in my eyes. 

"This is our wedding?" I whispered, cutting off Hershel, and looking at Daryl, who smiled gently down and me and nodded, squeezing my hand gently in his, and then wrapping his arm around my waist. I leaned up, kissed his scruffy cheek, and then looked back at Hershel, who was smiling at me gently, waiting for my go-ahead. When I nodded he continued. 

"The most remarkable moment in life is when you meet the person who makes you feel complete. The person who makes the world a beautiful and magical place. The person with who you share a bond so special that it transcends normal relationships and becomes something so pure and wonderful, that you can't imagine spending another day of your life without them. For me... that happened twice, with my wife Josephine, and then after her death, with my second wife Annette. I know how deeply these two care for and love one another, and I feel privileged to be here today among all of you as a witness of their commitment to a lifetime of love for one another. You are all my family, and I am so glad that we were able to meet, and create this beautiful thing in the short time we've known each other. It makes this insane world a little easier to deal with. Now, Daryl has asked that I keep this speech short, and politely asked me to leave out religion, since both of them are a little unsure at the moment. But I do want to say this, I knew from the moment I met you, that we would end up here. Maybe not in this prison, or at this time, but I knew you two would get married. As a third-party spectator to your developing love, it was extremely clear that the two of you represent a perfect pairing because each of you complements the other so well. You balance one another, and while each of you are tremendous individuals on your own, together you are even better. And being better together, as a team, a unit, a family, is what has been many months in the making and ultimately has led us here today, witnessing your commitment to one another in front of those you love most."